Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 - Handbrake not great

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 8:42pm
Before replacing the calipers do this test:
Drive in a straight line at a gravel road/parking lot at speed of 30km/h.
Pull the handbrake up one click at the time. At least one of the rear wheels should lock before you reach the 10th notch. Walk outside and look at your tracks. Which wheel did locked up first? Did the other lock up soon after?
Second test... drive like the first test, But pull the handbrake as hard as you can. Does both wheels lock up? Does one wheel lock up way before the other? Does both, one or none of the wheels lock up?

As the test results my depend on variable ground conditions, repeat the tests a few times, driving in both directions.

If none of the wheels lock up, but they do slow down the car, your problem is probably the wire adjustment, no parts needs to be swapped. Same goes if the wheels lock up later than the 10th notch.
If only one wheel locks up, do test 3 as listed below.
If one wheel locks up long before the other, your issue is probably the wire to the wheel not locking up. Allthough it could be the caliper or brake pads on this wheel as well. Do test 3.

Test3 (repeat the test a few times to make sure you get consistent results): Find a very slippery surface and brake hard using the pedal. Does both rear wheels lock up? Do they do so at the same time? If handbrake test result told you to do this test, and both rear wheels lock up at the same time, your issue is hand brake wire to the wheel that didn't lock up during the hand brake test. If the pedal test reveal the only one wheel locks up (or before the other) the problem is with the caliper/pad/disc on one of the sides. Do test 4 to figure which side.

Test 4. Drive for at least 10 minutes at a speed of at least 60km/h without using the brakes. Bring the car to a stop without using the brakes. (make use of a uphill, long distance, downshifting gear, or a combination). Now go and feel the heat of the brake discs. Be carefull. They may be burning hot! Any wheel that has a brake disc that feels warm to touch has a sticky caliper / glider or brake pad travel space blocked by dirt/rust. If this applies to one of you rear wheels, you've most probably found you source of problem.

I've replaced good calipers too many times because of brake pad travel blocked by dirt/rust or gliders dried out. Just because it seems to be the default solution people suggest. Save your self the trouble and follow the tests above.
pianoprimera3 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pianoprimera3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 10:55pm
Well now I'm PianoPrimera3 as 1 and 2 will not let me have a new password|

Ok, back to the subject of P12 handbrakes. Had my 2002 P12 1.8 Estate for 12 years (as I previously stated as number 2). So it's March and the MOT is coming around again. Handbrake has always been very poor yet it's always passed. This year I notice the nearside (UK) cable had seized altogether.  I am in the process of putting new callipers on the back but this makes very little difference to handbrake performance other than having new springs.

So I decided to order a new cable and whilst waiting take the old one off. >Wheel off and rear supported by two jacks and an axle stand > disconnect cable from Calliper (easy)>unbolt main rear supporting bracket (easy) unbolt and remove first cable bracket > remove second cable bracket > third cable bracket needs a socket extension bar, yes no problems > ISN'T IT EASY? NO IT'S NOT . I just happened to glance up and saw the exhaust would have to be dropped to get either a socket or ring spanner to the fixing bracket where the cable enters the cabin!! Good heavens above . . . !! 

First reaction? Oh, leave it until summer, I have a Mitsubishi Colt and a diesel Renault Grand Modus, so no urgency. Then my inner "bodge-it" self took over. Where could the cable be sticking? It had to be in the metal casing section just forwards of the calliper. How about a slight incision where the plastic cable body enters the metal section - then lots of Plus Gas followed by WD40. I got the wife to keep applying the handbrake as I worked the cable loose (eureka!! it works again). 

To finish the menu I applied lots of grease - especially where I'd made a cable plastic casing incision. To be honest the handbrake is now working better than ever before . . . 

So for anyone who is wondering what the heck I'm on about. Seized Cable? 99% certain it will be through that metal tube section just prior to fastening onto caliper.  Hmmm, just about as enjoyable as getting the rear brakes on an Austin A35 to work  WinkTongue in other words - horrible . . .
roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 11:15pm
Well done to you No3. Thumbs Up    Welcome back. Handshake
Roy
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pianoprimera3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 5:07am
Thanks Roy. You see, - I've not seen a P12 Primera on the Staffordshire Moorlands roads for well over a year (of course we've all been locked down); I've not seen another P12 Estate for 5 years! The only other Primera I ever see is an elderly lady in an immaculate P11 (green) doing her shopping at Home Bargains. There are only a tiny handful of Primeras now in Auto Trader each week. The good ones are rapidly going up in price too. Why, even the Polish are doing classic videos on them now, and Poland has a lot of Primeras still in use. This 3rd used car just costs us £138 per year in insurance (as we are both now Seniors). I tax and SORN cars according to seasons, apart from the Modus which is just £30 with it's 1.5DCi engine. I am helping a friend get her 1965 Anglia back on the road, so my obsession with "real" old cars is fulfilled. What is there not to like about a P12.  I have a few new vids on YouTube about my cars - but believe it or not the Mitsubishi Colt is the runaway viewers choice!! 

I know of people who are now saving early Mondeos, Vectras (even C's), either immaculately kept or collecting bird droppings on their property, - so a Primera, or early Almera or Micra seem logical "saves" as they all have the advantage of chain drive. It's all good fun. As the years roll by I'll have to blow the dust off bank accounts and buy a small EV, wear horn rimmed glasses and a plastic rain hood Tongue but until then I pursue my piano playing and car fiddling about hobbies with resolve.
roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 7:09am
Well done to you Sir.  As you may, or may not know, I have my own collection of Primera's. LOL
Roy
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 9:45am
Hi and welcome to the forumHandshake I am pleased you got it sorted. I must say my first thought would have been looking where it was sticking before replacing the cable. For you information the cable is accessed from the cabin, there is a small removable plastic cover under the handbrake lever to get access to it you will need a socket and extension.

I recommend you download the free electronic service manual following the link below

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-factory-service-manuals_topic29493.html

NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pianoprimera3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 11:15pm
Ah, if only Mr Timeshock. Yes, I've had the centre console and panel lifted many times to adjust handbrake travel, and yes, I can see two bolts for each cable entry portal, BUT in mine it's the underside of the bolts you can see. To unfasten them you have to go underneath, and the exhaust pipe is in the way.

No links here. Yes, good idea, so my little various car Tube Channel is called Senior Citizen DIY Mechanic UK  Under the new Primera P12 goes for a drive is a link to another video from way, way back of the same car. Next job will be to try and refurbish clutch and brake master cylinders for another piece of advanced engineering (well it was when I was at school) a 1965 Ford Anglia LOL
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 9:18am
I've learned that a crowfoot wrench is an excellent tool for accessing bolts hiding behind stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12