Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12W- Wont start. Nats issue?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biaggini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12W- Wont start. Nats issue?
    Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 9:44am
Hello everyone. This is my first post, even though I've been a member for a while now.

I've been through quite some headaches with my 02 2.2di P12w as of lately. I've owned it for about two years now and for the first year I had no issues at all. About 6 months ago I started experiencing multiple coolant pipe leaks. Then, last November I had a catastrophic failure which turned out to be a bad oil radiator leaking coil into coolant system (1000 euros fix). Finally, a month ago I had issues with a bad fuel filter (regular maintenance item overlooked by previous garage). So I've been through a lot of stress and expenses with it lately.

This morning I hoped into the car and started it as usually, only to find out it wouldn't start at all. All the dash lights would turn on like usually, infotainment system would work, no signs of low battery. I noticed, as I tried to start it the fuel pump would sound normal but the starter engine would not turn at all and the door locks would sound like they were activated. Also the immobiliser light would be off as soon as I inserted the key but would turn on as soon as I tried to start and would stay on as long as the key was inserted an in the on position.

I've already read posts similar to mine, but all mention the immobiliser light staying on the whole time or flashing. I have yet to test my other key fob as well as check the connector on the Nats amp. I was just wondering if anyone would have experienced the same symptoms as I (immobiliser light turning on at ignition) and if there's anything else I could try.

Thank you all for the treasure chest of information on this forum.
roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 12:10pm
Hi Lucas. Welcome to NPOC.  Handshake
Your car is showing the classic signs of a low charge battery. Ouch  A jump start or another battery should cure the problem. Thumbs Up
Roy
Biaggini View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biaggini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 12:15pm
Thank you very much. I'll try to jump start it as soon as I get home. I'm really hoping that's all it is. As I said,everything electric (infotainment, lights, AC) works fine, but I realise it may be a slightly under voltage anyway. I'll let you know if jump starting it solves the issue.

Also, just yesterday I drove it up a mountain to a slightly area, so i guess the cold and stress on the car could have damaged the battery.
roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 12:22pm
I think that will solve your problem mate. 
Roy
Biaggini View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biaggini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 5:17pm
Just tried jumpstarting to no success. I'll try the 15 minute method now and see if it's any good. I'll also check the connector at the nats amp.
Biaggini View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biaggini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 6:21pm
Update: Managed to remove the lower cowling and get to the connector for the Nats amp but I simply can't disconnect it. Are there any tricks? Tried pulling it while squeezing from all sides to now success.

Also, after trying many times to get it started, it now does turn, but won't start. I saw here that it may be flooded, removed the fuel pump fuse but now it won't turn, I guess the battery is drained. A friend will came by later today to jump start it again, as the first try was done with the help of my uber driver who was in a hurry and seemed like he didn't connect the cables right.

Hopefully it's still just a bad battery but I'm starting to get worried its more complex.
roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 9:53pm
Can you not charge the battery overnight. Thumbs Up
Roy
Biaggini View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biaggini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 11:36pm
Update: after my last post I got to successfully jumpstart the car and get the battery replaced. It has worked fine so far after. I did test starting it up quite a few times and it never failed again, so I'm blaming it on the battery.

I'll let you know if I experience any more trouble. Thank you for the help.
roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 12:19am
Well done. Clap  Thumbs Up
Roy
 Post Reply Post Reply