Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 tracing turbo air leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csedgbeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 tracing turbo air leak
    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 3:06pm
Hi All

Got an air leak somewhere, when the cars under load got a loud hiss coming from the passenger side area of the car, so guess i've got a boost pipe split somewhere, just need some guidance in where to look!

Am I right in thinking, from the air intake, the piping goes down to the turbo, from there back towards the right hand side of the engine low down where it goes in/out of the intercooler

from there towards the rear of the engine past the boost sensor and into the engine?

I've got a lack of turbo power, but according to my obdc reader i'm still getting about 20psi of boost pressure, i can see the boost sensor (it's labelled!) does that mean the leak is somewhere between that sensor and the engine block?

I've checked all of the piping from the airbox, past the MAF and towards the turbo and that looks ok

have tried to find a schematic and checked the esm but failed!

Thanks 
Chris
rustynuts View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustynuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 5:40pm
Hi There should be a small vacuum tube running from the turbo back to the passenger side there will  most likely be a split on the underside causing your leak the vacuum pump can leak aswell
csedgbeer View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csedgbeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 10:13pm
thanks for your reply

found that pipe, runs to the turbo solenoid ? along with another small pipe, anyway removed it and sound went away but also so did all of the psi! , it did come off very easily to when i put it back i used a small cable tie to make sure it was well connected, but problem still there, still got around 20psi when using a lot of throttle, but not a lot of power!

any other thoughts?

thanks
Chris
rustynuts View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustynuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 5:19pm
There is a small chain on the brake vacuum pump that can come loose and cause this but it is more likely something to do with your solenoid did you replace the hose if so it might be worth checking your solenoid is operating correctly, one other thing, is your boost pipe rubber or does it have the upgraded aluminium pipe which was  part of a recall.
csedgbeer View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csedgbeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 4:12pm
just to close this off, took off the pipe between the boost sensor and the engine block, couldn't see any split on it, but couldn't get the thing back and i think all of the shoving made a tiny split (which was causing the leak) into a much bigger visible one! , bit of superglue over the split and all is well again!

thanks for your help

Chris

Post Reply Post Reply