Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 Prevent dashboard from dimming?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 Prevent dashboard from dimming?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 Prevent dashboard from dimming?
    Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 1:47pm
Greetings from Berlin!

After 6 years with a 2001 Mondeo, I have just switched to a 2005 P12 Estate...  I am still learning the ropes, but everything seems fairly straightforward...

There is one question, however, that I simply cannot find an answer to:  Is they're any way to prevent the dashboard from dimming when the headlights are turned on???

Seeing that keeping the headlights on at all times of day has become more or less mandatory, it is impossible, in daytime, to actually see the dashboard when the headlights are turned on.

I've tried the dashboard "night/day" setting, cranking the night dashboard all the way up, but it simply isn't sufficient.  

Because the P12 is fairly uncommon in these parts, there are limited resources in terms of available information and know how.

Any hints would be most welcome!

cheers John

roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 1:59pm
Hi John. Welcome to NPOC. Handshake  If you have tried the night/day settings and it's not working the only thing I can suggest is mess around with the contrast etc and see how you get on from there. Thumbs Up
Roy
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 5:43pm
Hi and welcome to the forumHandshake
By night day control are you referring to the roll switch by you knee?
I have never heard of anyone have an issue with the brightness of the das of a P12 except when the switch has inadvertently been knocked.
Johnny65 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 8:21am
Thanks for the replies!

To Roy: By night and day control I am referring to the dashboard options in "settings" in which one can adjust the brightness and contrast of the night and day dashboards.

The dashboard dimming occurs when the light switch is turned on (to activate the headlights)  It is a feature that makes perfect sense, seeing that a bright dashboard will reduce visibility at night time.  Problem is when using the headlights during the day, it makes the dashboard close to invisible...  Was just wondering if there is any way to override this feature.

Cheers John
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 8:09am
Welcome to NPOC

Do you have to have Headlights on during the Day in Germany? I know some Countries do.
Is this a German Car? If so do the Headlights come on automatically?

I lived in Denmark for a few Years and had an English Car for a while. Kept getting flashed for forgetting to switch my Lights on.
patstonuk View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patstonuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 12:34pm
I assume by night/day this is reference to the display changing from blue (no lights switched on) to amber (lights on)? I ask because when I changed my clock from DST a couple of weeks ago I lost concentration and inadvertently switched the display to a permanent amber (night) setting and yes, pretty much useless in daylight. I discovered a changeover function within the settings menu which restored the blue (daylight, no lights on) operation and I'm pretty certain it was independent of the brightness/contrast options.
I've not got time to check at the moment, so hopefully that's not entirely misleading. In case there's a difference, mine's a 2003 UK-spec model.
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 10:25pm
I modify these settings quite often. When I do long drives at night I use darker settings than I use normally. The settings are stored individually for each light mode. So
- Set the light switch in the mode you want to change. (You probably want to select the night mode, headlights on, dim display)
- Press settings under the display
- Change the settings to your preferences. (Day/night, brightness, contrast, ... there are settings to change the display as well as the instrument lights.)
- exit
Johnny65 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 2:38pm
Hi imckay, and yes, indeed, German authorities highly recommend using headlights at all times, and most models post-2007 don't even have a "turn-off" option...  Don't think they'll flag you down for not using them though...  cheers! J
 Post Reply Post Reply