Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greetings from over the hills and far away

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UsernameNotPermitted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greetings from over the hills and far away
    Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 1:04pm
Hi all.

Thought I should say hi as I might well be around as I dive into tinkering with my P12 Wagon.

I live in NZ and have a JDM P12 wagon which I got from my cousin after she moved back to the UK. It was going to become deregistered and likely go to waste so I did her a favour and took it off her hands, being the selfless guy I am.

I must say, it took a while to grow on me. I'm used to driving big powerful rear wheel drive Aussie muscle cars and this was quite a departure from that. But, grow on me it did! I really like it now, and I've come to appreciate the niche it fills in my life.

Thing is, after about a year and a half I've become a bit bored with it though and want to spice her up a bit. You'd think being an early 2000s Nissan the tunablility would be endless, though much to my surprise I really have to dig deep to find anything for this car, especially in my country. Which is how I found myself here. A lot of the questions I was googling lead me to this forum and it seems the UK probably has the most experience tuning these cars, as well as aftermarket parts available.

And so, here I am!

Part of coming here was to find out where I can get stuff like coilovers though it looks like that's out of the scope of what's allowed by the mods, but it will still be good to get technical advice for anything I might get stumped on. 
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 1:38pm
Hey Jezza and a big welcome to NPOC :)

You'll probably be surprised that we're also in the same boat over here with the JDM P12 - From memory I believe we only have 2 in the whole country as it is (might be 3)!

And trust me, those guys struggle with the same things you have found out already about tuning and mods and availability.

I know there are a couple of Kiwi's who have the JDM P12 as well, so between you guys and us guys, it's not exactly the biggest group of owners LOL!

Anyways, welcome in and take care,
Shaun
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 10:15pm
Hi and welcome to the forumHandshake
ragt20 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Swiss Tony

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragt20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 7:03pm
Hi and Welcome to NPOC, like Shaun has mentioned, there isn't much off the shelf stuff for these out there. 

There are a few well modified ones in NZ, but most work is custom stuff, but they do have some stuff interchangeable with the 350zs, front brakes, calipers you can bolt straight on the 350z brembos etc. 

lowering etc, coilovers you'd be hard pressed to find any off the shelf anywhere out side of Japan, you can get complete sports Nismo suspension for them, again from Japan. 

most off the shelf stuff you'll find will be Japan based, the rest is what guys have used from other SR20 fitted cars that can be used 
FAO : Laurens, I am not Shaun.
FAO : bavs83, I am not Tan.
VZR-CHECK, VZR-N1-CHECK, P11 VE-CHECK, P12 20V-CHECK, XTRAIL VET-CHECK
UsernameNotPermitted View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UsernameNotPermitted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 10:39am
Cheers, guys! 

Thanks for the warm welcome and good info. Very interesting that the 350Z Brembos will fit too!

I figured I would be hard pressed to find much for this car so it's not too much of a surprise. I've been busy studying this engine and car now for the last few weeks and have come to the conclusion that the most cost effective way to get a bit more out of this car is simply going to be to turbocharge it.

I've since cobbled together my own little custom "turbo kit". Well, ordered the parts anyway. They should be getting here over the next week or so, and then the fun begins :P

I'll be doing all the work myself including fabrication so it's going to be a truly budget build.

She'll be running the stock fuel system for the first little while, till I can afford upgrades and then a tune. That could be a little while considering getting all the bits to actually get the turbo on to the engine and plumbed in have already set me up to be well acquainted with ramen noodles over the next month or so haha. 

If all my calculations are correct, the stock fuel system should be able to handle 6-7psi boost max, which is actually pretty descent. With stock compression even that amount of boost is going to give it a lot of extra motivation. The ECU is another story which I'm not sure about, but I'm thinking with a high flow pump, some 400cc injectors, 1:1 rising rate regulator and maybe some MAF trickery with a piggyback AFC should probably be enough to get the boost to around 15 psi

Also found my dream rims for this car which is exciting. A set of concave 19x8s

I'll start a build thread over in the appropriate section anyway, probably once all the "turbo kit" parts have arrived haha.

Happy New Year, everyone!!
Geordie View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member
Not in Estate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geordie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 5:59pm
Hi and welcome to NPOC
Car of the Month April 2010 (Black GT)
Car of the Month August 2012 (Red Wagon)
"You are a one man, used car industry, improvement system!!" - Tom (12/12/16)
Current: 1991 P10 2 litre GS
Janner View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
Kerbalicious

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 9:27am
Welcome in
 Post Reply Post Reply