Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 GT Overheating Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P93GBW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 GT Overheating Issues
    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 10:47am
Hi, having some odd issues with my GT Overheating. On a long run on the motorway, cruising at 70,when going uphill occasionally the temp will start climbing and probably overheat if I don't let off the accelerator and cruise up the hill. After that it will keep climbing for the rest of the journey, if I put the heaters on in the car though it keeps the needle horizontal.
Water pumps been changed, new thermostat, fresh coolant. Engine oils fresh. Bled it several times since issues started to make sure it wasn't an airlock. Top and bottom rad hoses are hot.
If left on the drive running fans will kick on after about 30 mins run a few minutes and turn off and the temp stays stable. Even once up to temp taking it out afterwards and even when trying I couldn't get it to overheat!
It's fine for a couple of weeks driving local even when driving fast country roads but then a motorway trip maybe 10 miles and it acts up.
Any clues guys? Don't want to go down the road of replacing bits blindly but only thing I can think is new radiator or head gasket but neither fully add up as no other symptoms. Cheers
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 1:40pm
Has it actually overheated as yet? Meaning engine steaming and all of that..
CarSpyTV View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarSpyTV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 3:54pm
I appreciate there are no obvious head gasket symptoms, but might it be worth double checking with a combustion leak tester (if you haven't already)?

CarSpyTV. Join the fun at YouTube. Buying, driving, maintaining, and selling cars - because it's interesting!
Robc123 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robc123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 12:20am
Temp OK with the heater on full but overheating with it shut off can be a sign of a radiator problem.
Janner View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
Kerbalicious

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 7:17am
I'd say the radiator is on its way out by the sounds of it but I'm no expert.

Good luck.
P93GBW View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P93GBW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 8:18pm
Hey guys. Sorry for being terrible at replying. Decided to throw stuff at it and see what sticks. With doing the wrench work myself cost wasn't too bad.
So it's had head gasket, timing chain and a new rad fitted. All seemed well until tonight, it's been on several hour to 2 hour runs at high speed and sat in traffic too. Tonight a tootle down to the local asda had it overheating again, boiling coolant spewing out the rad cap and generally not happy. That's on a half hour steady drive!
Feeling pretty down and really just not sure what to do next!
Dad's Taxi View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dad's Taxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 8:54pm
My first thoughts would be Rad not flowing, or Pump not pumping. But if you replaced both and are sure pump was fitted right (Not doubting your spanner skills) i'm a bit at a loss. 
Could belt driving the pump be slipping, thus not pumping? 
Thermostat in back to front? (Done that one myself)
P11 GT DR2 My daily
P11 SLX Daughters
*** (in sparkle Blue) Secret new toy.....
100NX 1.6 Auto in red
P93GBW View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P93GBW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 8:59pm
I fitted the pump and stat first, took the pump out again when I did the timing belt to have a nosy and all looks fine, bearing on its still solid and belt was replaced too and is the right amount of tight.
Pokey bit of the thermostat goes into the engine side right
P93GBW View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P93GBW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 8:59pm
Appreciate you weighing in though mate and I will be taking it apart again to check.
Dad's Taxi View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dad's Taxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 9:05pm
Had a bit of a heating issue with the wife's Almera last year, replaced Thermostat and must have been a dodgy one as it didn't solve it, Removed it and ran without one for a few weeks and solved if not reversed the problem. Ran too cool on Motorways then lol

And yeah, Longer bit Inwards towards housing/engine. Should be a bleed nipple right behind it on housing too. Did you check the Opening temp of the stat? Most have three or more temps in the range. (Like 72-79-86 degrees)
P11 GT DR2 My daily
P11 SLX Daughters
*** (in sparkle Blue) Secret new toy.....
100NX 1.6 Auto in red
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>