Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 Keys Centre Console Not Working
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 Keys Centre Console Not Working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deorini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 Keys Centre Console Not Working
    Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 1:39pm
Hi,
Own a Primera P12 2007, I believe it's the 1.6 SE, and for the past few weeks the top row buttons in the centre console have stopped working or even being backlit. These include numbers 1, 2 and 3 plus the heating for the windshield and the telephone one. It's a big issue since I cannot increase the fan speed of the heater to blow out the moist in the mornings.
I have checked fuses but they all look alright. Any idea before I dismount the console?
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 4:01pm
Hi and welcome to the forumHandshake

This is a new one to me I think. Time to take a look and get the multi tester out I thinkThumbs Up
Deorini View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deorini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 9:24am
Thanks for the welcome Handshake

I didn't want to go the multitester route which implies disassembling the whole console until I had some more info. All those buttons, or at least their backlits, have to be in the same circuit, right?

Also, if I cannot find an easy out (novice really really amateur mechanic here, more like a hobby taken through pandemic downtime) how easy is it to replace that centre console with a second hand one just in case? Is it a matter of plug and play?

Thanks for your prompt answer as well Smile
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 9:09am

I recommend you download the free electronic service manual following the link below

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-factory-service-manuals_topic29493.html

It will give you a good idea how the circuits are linked, you are correct about the nits and generally with a multi connector but rarely is it obvious thtat the malfuctioning unit is where the malfunction lays. While this is rare for the unit to fail the fault may lay in the SECU - secure entrance control unit.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery and see if that clear the fault, sometimes the CANBUS can just get confused?

imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 9:22am
Welcome to NPOC,

http://nissan4u.com/parts/primera/el_p12e/2007_4/type_15/body_electrical/audio_visual_telephone_and_speaker/illustration_5/
Looks like the same Unit is fitted to all P12 from 2001-2007

Quite cheap for a used one. From £20 on Ebay.
It should plug and play.

Estyfort View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Estyfort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by imckay imckay wrote:

http://nissan4u.com/parts/primera/el_p12e/2007_4/type_15/body_electrical/audio_visual_telephone_and_speaker/illustration_5/
Looks like the same Unit is fitted to all P12 from 2001-2007
Quite cheap for a used one. From £20 on Ebay.
It should plug and play.
It is.
Deorini View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deorini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 9:20am
I tried the battery  tnag already, as I also have a problem with the ABS (warning in the dashboard) and read in another topic that disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes could actually solve the issue, which did not in my case.
For the ABS issue I will try the other method that implies ignite on/off a certain amount of times.

Anywho, there seem to be a few electricla gremlins in my car. Apart from the ABS  and that top line in the dashboard not functioning, also the driver electric window is starting to missbehave. If you want to close it when it's half way down, first it will go down the entire way even if you're pulling the button "up", and no matter if you stop and try, it will still go down the entire way before it starts to go up.

I'm wondering if all these gremlins are related somehow or symptoms of a bigger hidden malfunction.

I changed the battery for a brand new one same specs as the one that was mounted 2 months ago so it's not a lack of juice battery related.
roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 9:45am
Hi Deorini. Welcome to NPOC. Handshake
Have you done the Rear Light Earth Fix?.  It usually solves a host of problems.   Thumbs Up
               Click on the Link below.                                    

Roy
 Post Reply Post Reply