Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Evening All

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Dingle* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Evening All
    Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 8:51pm
Hello there I am new here but old to car forums, I am looking to buy a P11 GT in the next few months and thought I had better expand my knowledge before I get one, I have been mainly a Vx man but have got to the stage where I have had enough of constant repair bills and known a few people with Jap motors that seem to as a rule have less problems with them, I do know a bit about the SR20 lump but that is through my friends who own the SR20DETs in 200's.

If any of you could PM me with any bits I should watch for when purchasing one of these I would be most gratefull, have also looked at some of the fine motors on here for sale but I am guessing by the time I come to get mine finally most will be sold (Just my luck lol).

Anyway I am from the North Essex area but I am not a typical essex lad, far from it as I originally am from Kent area, so if anyone is local and wants to say Hi and baffle me with some info I'd be very happy and thankful

Cheers for now

Chris
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 10:55pm
Hi Chris and a big welcome to NPOC.

This should help when looking at P11 GT'sThumbs Up

Things to watch out for when buying.

Rust around the spoiler, if fitted, is practically standard and if left unchecked will make big holes in the tailgate. Also rust around the filler neck inside the arch liner, this can let water into the arch and destroy it. Not structural but a pain to fix. Bottom inside of the front doors often rust as the door shell isn't galvanised and the door seals on the P11 trap water.

Outer shell is galvanised so general rust is not a big problem, any small bubbles and scratches take a long time to spread.

Callipers are prone to sticking (rears), hard to check for but make sure the handbrake holds well without too much effort. The P11 rear calliper seems better than the P10 one though. If you can take it on a long run make sure the wheels aren't heating up too much, one side will if a calliper is sticking and burnt-on brake dust on one wheel is a giveaway sign of overheating. Usually not too hard to fix if they are but the back ones can need replacing if the handbrake levers seize.

You want a free revving, smooth sounding engine. They're very reliable, if not the quietest engines in the world, so are usually fine although the timing chains can start to rattle as the miles build up and are not cheap to replace. A rattle at start up if fine, just the oil pressure building up, but it's best if it's reasonably quiet the rest of the time. Check the oil is near the top of the dipstick hatched area and that it's had regular oil changes.

Gearbox can be notchy into fifth and reverse. Make sure fifth isn't too hard to select as that could mean bigger problems. Primera's snap drive shafts, ask if that's happened yet, it probably has if the car has a few miles on it. If not, it will! Nothing you can do about it.

Listen for clunks from the suspension. Any clunks and don't buy it till you've checked out what it is, most clunks are cheap to fix and some aren't! Front top links can knock like mad but still be sound and are not expensive to fix anyway. Good bargaining tool.

Windscreen wiper swivels wear out. Press the lower part of the arm down to see how much play there is. Slight play is ok but a lot and they won't clean very well and can hit the edge of the bonnet. Not expensive to fix, another bargaining point.

LCD display on the radio often dies but radio still works fine. 6 CD changer in the boot sometimes packs in. Electric mirrors can be sticky in cold weather. Most other electrics are trouble free but check them anyway.

Interior rattles are common but we know where they all are so can tell you how to fix them. Clutch pedal can click but that's an easy fix too.

The rest is stuff common to all cars like clutch, pads, CV joints, shocks etc.

Good luck on the search matey!

Enjoy the forums and take care,
Shaun
Stevie-Boy View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Legend Elite

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie-Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 10:58pm
Welcome to the club, hope you get sorted with a nice motor :)
2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Member of the Month: Jan 2014
ex P11 Si, P11 GT, P11-144 Sport+, P11 GT Turbo, P11-144 Wagon, Subaru Legacy B4 RSK, 350z, Type R
eww View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 12:22am
has anyone ever put a pulsar gti-r ening into a primera or is that a stupid idea ?
sorry know this has nothing to do with buying gt just i cant work out how to start new topic.
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 12:31am
Yes they have.
ragt20 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Swiss Tony

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragt20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 1:33am
ello and welcome to npoc mate..

best of luck with your hunt for a primera..

enjoy the forums...Wave
FAO : Laurens, I am not Shaun.
FAO : bavs83, I am not Tan.
VZR-CHECK, VZR-N1-CHECK, P11 VE-CHECK, P12 20V-CHECK, XTRAIL VET-CHECK
Sluffer View Drop Down
NPOC Legend Elite
NPOC Legend Elite

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sluffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 5:49am
Welcome to NPOC ChrisWave

Hope you find yourself a decent PrimeraThumbs Up

Enjoy teh forums and don't forget to let us know how you get on in your huntThumbs Up
It is much better to have loved and lost a sheep, than it is to have never loved one at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply