Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 2.2 2003 not charging

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newtown1pm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 2.2 2003 not charging
    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 10:29am
Hi all, 

I am not sure if you can help ... but i problem with my Nissan 

It`s a 2002 2.2turbo diseal. Last week the on the motorway, i started to lose electrics, slow wipers, followed by ABS warning light, air bag light, then the central LCD display went off. 

I pulled over and called the recovery man. He told me there was no charging circuit, so towed me home. 

I have just put a new (correct ) alternator on and I am still get no charge. The plug at the back of the atlernator are showing 12v, but no battery light on the dash and no charge.  

I have also put a new battery on, so thats okay 

Does anyone have an ideas what could be causing it not to charge?

Thanks 
Stephen 
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 4:03pm
Hi and welcome to the forumHandshake
Check the two earth leads from the battery, one to the chassis and the other to the gearbox, unusual for both to go though. They should obviously be continuous, no breaks and a sound connection
Newtown1pm View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newtown1pm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 7:52pm
Thank you for the welcome

Yep earth leads are sorted

It's most odd

Just to trying to work out if there is an alternator fuse. ... perhaps that's blown?
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 11:03am
CHARGING SYSTEM
System Description 
The alternator provides DC voltage to operate the vehicle's electrical system and to keep the battery charged.
The voltage output is controlled by the IC regulator.
Power is supplied at all times to alternator terminal 4 (S) through:
l 120A (QR and YD engine models) or 100A (QG engine models) fusible link (letter A, located in the fuse
and fusible link box), and
l 10A fuse (No. 35, located in the fuse and fusible link box).
Terminal B supplies power to charge the battery and operate the vehicle's electrical system. Output voltage is
controlled by the IC regulator at terminal 4 (S) detecting the input voltage. The charging circuit is protected by
the 120A (QR and YD engine models) or 100A (QG engine models) link.
The alternator is grounded to the engine block.
With the ignition switch in the ON or START position, power is supplied
l 10A fuse [No. 30, located in the fuse block (J/B)]
l to combination meter terminal 26 (LHD models) or terminal 13 (RHD models) for the charge warning
lamp.
Ground is supplied With power and ground supplied
l to terminal 17 (LHD models) or terminal 4 (RHD models) of the combination meter
l through terminal 3 (L) of the alternator.
The charge warning lamp will illuminate. When the alternator is providing sufficient voltage with the engine
running, the ground is opened and the charge warning lamp will go off.
If the charge warning lamp illuminates with the engine running, a fault is indicated.
Newtown1pm View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newtown1pm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 4:59pm
Hi there, 

Thanks for the response. It certainly helped. 

Turns out part of the loom had been rubbing in the engine bay  and also water had been running  / dripping on to it. So the wires were toast. Nothing to serious , a few connectors and some wire and all sorted. 

Still very odd

Thanks for your help

Cheers
Stephen 
 Post Reply Post Reply