Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P11 1.6 Buying questions and help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 1.6 Buying questions and help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote journeyprimera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 1.6 Buying questions and help
    Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 5:05am
First off, thank you for letting me into the family and for any replies before hand. Long time Nissan fan, have a 2000 Frontier will over 210,000 miles on it going strong.

I am looking to buy a 1997 Primera 5 door hatchback. The vehicle is listed as a Nissan Primera 1998 GX 16V P11 but we found out it was originally registered in January of 1997.

It appears to have the G16DE engine and I wanted to ask for any tips on what to look at the car. This car is in Greece.  A friend of mine told me that these cars had a problem with cracked cylinder heads, is that accurate?

I am overseas right now and have a friend trying to do the transaction so I am looking for pointers. One thing I noticed from the photos is that the overflow tank looks rusty. Unfortunately this is quite common in Greece as people use faucet water instead of proper coolant which makes me wonder if that is part of the reason for the cracked heads. Vehicle has 198,000 km.

Are European Primeras of that vintage OBDII or is it only a 14 pin Nissan Consult interface?

What are the weak points of the vehicle? Any advice at all? 

Thank you very much.

Journey
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 9:44pm
Welcome to NPOC

2007 I last had my 1.6 1997 Primera. Sold with about 200,000 KM 
Was very reliable. Enjoyed my 2000 2.0 much more and that was also very reliable
Only had a problem on the 1.6 with a cracked ABS Ring, AC Condenser and Heater Fan Resistor
Not aware of Cylinder Head problems.
With the age, probably check for rust (maybe not such a problem in Greece?)

They are not OBD2 
You can do some diagnostics by connecting a wire to the OBD Port but it is limited.

Ian
 Post Reply Post Reply