Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 Annoying Water Leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote domtheboyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 Annoying Water Leak
    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 3:22pm
Hi All,

I have looked through the howto's etc and other resources but I wondered if, apart from the sunroof, there are other common areas where water can leak into the front passenger foot well on a P11?

I've checked all the gutters are clear etc and have the front carpet up and poured water all over the obvious places and it runs out the left gutter and nothing seems to comes through. Heavy rain over night and the carpets are wet again!

I'm not 100% sure if the issue appeared after I replaced the front wiper motor and spindles as I did this work not long after buying the car and I was not driving it much until after I had replaced these just before Christmas.

It's been in the shed keeping dry but I took it out again this week to try to start enjoying it and I have damp carpets again.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

domtheboyo View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote domtheboyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 4:34pm
To add:

It's not coolant from the heater matrix, it is rain water.

Dom
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 4:46pm
Please note (for next time), that instead of removing your topic because you're topic title was incorrect, I've added "Nissan Primera P11" at the start of it, so we can keep it and help :)

Apart from the sunroof drainage pipes, the other common cause of water coming in at the front is related to the scuttle panel - This is the black plastic panel that you would have removed when doing the wiper spindles. So I'd be starting there.

You can search the forums for scuttle panel probs and leaks, I'm sure it's come up before many times.

Many thanks and take care,
Shaun
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote domtheboyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 5:40pm
Thanks Shaun. If I pour water all over the scuttle plate I does not appear to come into the car as I see it draining behind the front wheels.
Are certainly look for a how-to to see if there is a specific place under the scuttle I've missed.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote domtheboyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 6:28pm
I've opened the sunroof and poured water down the drain hole and it comes out behind front wheel. Is it possible to get wet from underneath when parked? Maybe I need to get it up on some ramps.
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 7:26pm
As odd as it may sound, could it be possible that the water is coming in from the rear of the car and working its way to the front? Do you park on a slight slope (front end down)? We have seen water leaks through the rear lights as well. To quickly rule this one out, just look in the spare wheel well and if that's got any water, then the problem may be from the back end. You're right that the sun roof will drain by the front wheels, so I don't think there's a problem there.

A lot of people end up sealing the corners (under the scuttle panel).
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote domtheboyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 10:19am
Parked flat and not coming from the back but worth a check. I found a similar issue reported on the Infinit G20 forum which was related to the passenger side spacer used to align the windscreen. I don't remember seeing this on mine and so I must have a hole there instead so I'm going to take the scuttle off again and have another look.
I've had it off a few times to clean and replace the spindles a couple of times as my first wiper fix failed after a month so purchased new parts from Germany instead.
Hoping it will be the missing spacer.

NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote domtheboyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 6:33pm
That was it! Covered the hole left by the missing part with some good duct tape and no more leaks!
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 6:40pm
Nice one :)
 Post Reply Post Reply