Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 Starter motor removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 Starter motor removal
    Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 7:10pm
Been meaning to get the starter off to clean and inspect for a while now as it is slightly over running/ 'scrunching'.  For the hell of me cannot seem to locate it!Confused
Seems hidden away- is it accessible / visable from underneath the car rather than from above the engine bay? Do I get it off from underneath? Is it pretty easy to get off and dismantle to inspect/ service?

Cheers all in advance.
ragt20 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Swiss Tony

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragt20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 7:36pm
its at the back of the engine, mid way up...not the simplest to get to...not had to take one off myself, but from what I remember you have to undo bits from above and below, as access is limited
FAO : Laurens, I am not Shaun.
FAO : bavs83, I am not Tan.
VZR-CHECK, VZR-N1-CHECK, P11 VE-CHECK, P12 20V-CHECK, XTRAIL VET-CHECK
ragt20 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Swiss Tony

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragt20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 7:40pm
if you look at this pic, its circled, with engine out of car....

d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 7:45pm
Thanks alot.Smile

See this is SR20 engine, forgot to mention mine is GA16DE, is the same?

P.S - liking that welding , very solid and strong looking welds- is standard or has been added for whatever reasons?
ragt20 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Swiss Tony

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ragt20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 7:59pm
ahh you didn't mention it was either, so just assumed it was SR20.....hahaha

the location for the GA16 starter will be pretty much near the same area as well...

p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 9:21pm
Yup about same area for the GA and QGs also,2 x 14mm long bolts hold the motor to the bellhousing Thumbs Up

Remember to disconnect the battery too.

Edit,there's maybe some bracing too that might need removing on your engine,can't remember though to be honest.
girty View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote girty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 6:39pm
Had to take mine off for several times, first time it took about 2h, but after that it was a 15 min job to take it off and put it back. :D
So first of all, you will need to get under the car, completely from above it is not possible to remove it. 
From above you have to undo the two bolts holding it in place, first one is located on transmission side right about the same place as in the picture, the upper one. Only it wont be black and it will be size 14. To find it more easily the thick ground cable leads to it. Second bolt is lower on opposite side. Same size - 14. You have to choose either you undo it from below or above. From below it is more visible, but harder to get to, but from above it is easier to get to but not visible at all. 
When that is done, you need to remove the bar that holds intake manifold against the engine, should be black, or not, located about at the middle of intake manifold. It won't do any harm if you remove it, if you do not turn the engine. There are two bolts holding it, one into manifold, other into engine, size 12 if i remember correctly. Again, you have to do it from below the engine.
When you have done that, you can disconnect the wires from starter. After that just slide it out and should be able to get it out.  
And first of all, disconnect the battery as p11primeragt mentioned.

Putting it back is the same procedure just the other way around - Put it in, connect wires, put back the support bar, screw back size 14 bolts and done. 
You can take off the air filter box, but it only clears the line of sight a bit.
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 6:47pm
Thanks Girty for the comprehensive instructions and with abit of luck you will save me hours! Clap
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by girty girty wrote:

Had to take mine off for several times .....

Just wondering Girty, did you starter have problems? Reason I am needing to take mine of, it slightly 'over runs' and makes 'scrunch' noise. It has been like it for years but I am wanting to correct the problem and other Forum members have suggested taking it apart and inspect and grease etc.

Have you took yours apart, or anyone to do the same? Are they easy to take apart and work on does anyone know?

Ta!
girty View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 10:16pm
Well, mine had another issue. It wasn't turning at all. It was like you turn the key, it goes half of turn then stops, you keep holding the key, and after a 2 sec it turns a little bit more and so on. At the end it came to that, that it didn't turn over at all. Took it of for first time. Took me about 2-3 hours. Disassembled it, and found out that the inner core had scratch marks on it, and upper half, that goes into transmission, actually were welded. Wield was good, butt little bit off-center and that caused the scratching and not turning. 
I cleaned it, put back together and put on car. But the problem wasn't fixed. So I got another one from the guy whom i bought the car from. Got the old one off, took me about 25 mins. Swapped them, but something wasn't right, so i had to take it off again. Took me about 10 mins that time, due to lack of space to turn the screws. :D So disassembled the new one, put it back together and put it on the car and it's working great now.

To take it apart it's not a hard job, but from your description you have to change the puller(feeder), it's the smaller one. You have the big cylinder that's the starter, and then you have the smaller cylinder to whom all the wires goes. Probably changing it will solve the problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>