Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 wipers park position fault

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasmoran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 wipers park position fault
    Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 1:12pm
Hi!
I've had two P11's so far, a W and, currently, a Y reg. When I bought the current one, it already had a park position fault on the front wipers i.e. when turned off, they stopped wherever on the windscreen they happened to be. I replaced the motor and it worked okay for a couple of months but has now developed the same fault.
When the mechanic fitted it, he did recommend replacing the blades, but they didn't seem too bad to me so I left it until just the other day to fit new ones, but by that time it was too late - if indeed the wipers were the problem. You see, the W reg's wiper motor worked without problem for the three years I had it, despite having old blades.
So I'm wondering, is there any other factor that could have caused this fault to recur so soon, other than the wiper blades or, possibly, that the replacement motor was already at the end of its life when I bought it?
Cheers,
chasmoran
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 1:43pm
Hi and welcome to npoc,if the wiper are stuck somewhere on the windsceen,when the swich is at park position,then its either the motor again or the swich you use to work the wiper,if the wiper blades are not to bad,i would leave them and replace you motor again,these fail quite often,even within a few years is a possibilty.

Good luck with it. 
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 2:15pm
Welcome to NPOC,

Sounds like the motor to me.
It can be fixed reasonably easily http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/p11-fixing-the-wipers-autopark-function_topic35006.html

SteveB View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 6:13pm
Definitely the motor.  If you still have the old motor then fix it as per the "How To" and then it's just a swap job.
1997 2.0 SLX P11
chasmoran View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasmoran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 7:58pm
Hi, many thanks for the advice. The problem is as I suspected :(
I've seen the DIY repair article - unfortunately, I'm just not the rivet-drilling type! So I'll be looking for yet another reasonably-priced replacement motor. Any leads appreciated (I will be trying eBay of course)...
Cheers,
chasmoran
Nismohks View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nismohks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 10:42pm
Hi you can actually chisel the rivets off, jsut chisel the rivet's head off and u can pull the rivet shaft out. cos thats what i did, and reattach the cover using some self tapping screws. Cheaper than buying a used one and more satisfying. all u need is a cloth to clean the crap out and re grease it.

I never open my wallet unless I have to. Only cos my wife opens it too much already :(
Black 1999 P11 GT LE
chasmoran View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasmoran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 7:48pm
Thanks for that! :)
chasmoran View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasmoran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 11:06am
Hi again,
I'm still a bit puzzled:
In the case of my replacement motor failing within a few weeks of purchase (having worked fine when first fitted), it surely can't be just the park position mechanism fouling up with grease etc. and needing a clean? I.e. in such a short period?
If put under unusual strain, such as from running with old blades, would the internal electrical contacts burn out? or oxidise somehow, breaking the contact? And is this repairable?
Cheers,
chasmoran
SteveB View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 6:34pm
I think these motors are almost designed to fail at a certain age/mileage.  There's absolutely nothing to stop the internal metal wiper contacts eventually getting swamped with grease.

My original had a slight bit of contact burning at one position, probably where it kept stopping, but a little bending of the sprung contact and a clean-up and it's worked fine for about a year now.  I bought a spare one and refurbished that so I can do a quick swap if it happens again - that one looked identical inside, same copious amount of grease and a little burning at one position.  So if your motor was 2nd hand I'm very unsurprised at it failing quickly.
1997 2.0 SLX P11
chasmoran View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasmoran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 8:58pm
Hi Steve,

Many thanks for the info! I think I'll try to repair this motor when it's been replaced, rather than throw it as I did the previous one. Otherwise, could get very expensive!

Cheers,
chasmoran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>