Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11-144 removing battery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodyguards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11-144 removing battery
    Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:25pm
I have a P11-144 (1999) and the battery is empty, this is because I do low mileage, around 4 to 5,000 a year. I was going to jump start it with my Škoda Citigo but I am looking into taking the battery out and charging up at home. I know I take the negative off first to remove the battery and the positive on first when I add the battery after it is charged. We have had the car 11 years and my wife mentioned I was concerned about doing this in the past, does it reset the radio where I will need to get a code from the dealership? I presume I can lock/unlock manually without any battery power with a key? Is there anything else I need to know before removing the battery, charging it at home and then putting it back in? Thank you.
ragt20 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Swiss Tony

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragt20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:02pm
radio code is secured with the ecu, so it should automatically pick it up, once you reconnect charged battery. and yes you can lock the car with the key, after removing battery, usually best practice once battery removed, lock all doors from the inside, then lock the driver's door with key after. 

nothing else to it
FAO : Laurens, I am not Shaun.
FAO : bavs83, I am not Tan.
VZR-CHECK, VZR-N1-CHECK, P11 VE-CHECK, P12 20V-CHECK, XTRAIL VET-CHECK
Bodyguards View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodyguards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:08pm
Thank you!!!

NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodyguards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:25pm
The bolt holding the battery is fused on so will need to jump start it. But thank you.
ragt20 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Swiss Tony

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragt20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:28pm
if parked in a garage you can always leave it on trickle charge, which maintains the charge, if car is not used for long periods
FAO : Laurens, I am not Shaun.
FAO : bavs83, I am not Tan.
VZR-CHECK, VZR-N1-CHECK, P11 VE-CHECK, P12 20V-CHECK, XTRAIL VET-CHECK
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodyguards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:45pm
No, not parked in a garage, in a communal car park. Will ask my wife if we have a socket set and try and get it off.
NickC View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 2:43pm
Soak the bolt head in Plusgas or similar for a few hours before trying to undo it. Should make it easier, and therefore less prone to snapping.

Just to confirm what others have said above, you can safely remove the battery for a charge without needing to reset the radio, and you can lock the doors manually. I have a P11-144 estate that sometimes sits for a while, so I remove the battery to charge it with no issues.
--

2000 Primera 2.0SE CVT(M6) Wagon
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodyguards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 2:52pm
Just need to look up PlusGas thank you
 Post Reply Post Reply