Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 2003 ignition coils, misfires
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 2003 ignition coils, misfires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 2003 ignition coils, misfires
    Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 10:27pm
I'm on my second Primera now, a saloon version, 2003 1.8 petrol QG engine I believe. Had the engine light come on a few months back, identified it as a coil fault, so bought a new one. Just the one - I'm poor as so a set would be £80-£100. Replaced, settled down, then engine light comes on again a few weeks later.
Got hold of an OBD2 reader and erased the error code which related to 'bank 1' which I assume is coil pack 1... ..am I right? But I need to replace them all I guess, sooner or later. Thing is, I've seen a set from Lithuania for £32 which is a big difference in price.. for a 1.8 primera. But their code is 22448 6N010, wheras the ones in my vehicle read 22448 6N015.
Which is the crux of my question. The OEM cross-referencing suggests the 2 versions would be interchangeable, so to speak, but I don't wanna blow £30 on useless parts, geddit? So I want to know how Nissan OEM's/ part refs. work. nobody I know has a clue. To most folks, £80 for a set is no big deal, but it is to me - and I'm not 100% it will sort the problems (occassional misfire, lumpy acceleration, not as quick as I expect a 1.8 to be, etc)
I did the rear light earth fix, so I've made a start!!
Any advice on OEM's and engine power beefs most appreciated!
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 9:34am
You have not given the error code, is the the same one that is indicating faulty? have you tried swapping that one around to see if the code changes?

you can manually read the codes

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/p12-all-engines-read-reset-ecu-fuel-pump_topic54932.html

when you do it correctly just count the flashes of the light it will give a repeating sequence of four digits, 10 flashes representing zero

sleizen View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 5:24pm
I can tell you the codes that came up before I erased them-

P0011; engine not timed correctly/camshaft variable timing solenoid failure/ worn timing chain/variable valve timing actuator failure
P0420; inefficient cat convertor/defective front rear oxygen sensors/misfiring engine

these codes are sort of universal, my mechanic mate said the primera doesn't have a 'vvt actuator', for example, so I guess I need to go through these one by one.
To me, the timing is probably the thing - rather than ignition coils - but I really don't know
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 7:20am
You are right about the universal nature of the codes, hopefully it is something less onerous then the timing chain which is not unknown on the 1.8. You dont say how many miles you have done.

I think you can swap the oxygen sensors around (bank 1 with bank 2 and if it is a sensor your code will change.

is your exhaust in good order, no leaks?

I recommend you download the free electronic service manual following the link below

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-factory-service-manuals_topic29493.html

look up the codes for you engine (from page ec90, from there you can go trouble shooting with the fault diagnosis steps .

if you wanted to check the chain have a look here

https://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-p12-cam-position-sensor-problem_topic73739_page2.html?KW=p12+1%2E8+timing+chain

sleizen View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 2:03am
130K mileage, and the exhaust is 3 months old. I also heard the MAF sensor is a common culprit, as in a more likely cause of sluggish performance - more suspect than the coils are supposed to be. Reckon I'll get new sparkplugs and replacement coils cos I'm convinced the judderiness in acceleration feels like ignition... its all down to money
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 9:08am
Judderiness in acceleration is an indicator of clutch wear, did these issues start just after the exhaust was replaced? again sensors
sleizen View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 10:19am
Thanks Timeshock- I used the wrong expression, more like hesistancy or (as I've heard on this forum) 'lumpy acceleration'. And the misfires are never a full-blown hiccup of power. It's just poor pick-up sometimes. Since December it's had a new clutch, exhaust, track rod end, key, battery, ball joint bushing(?) so I don't wanna scrap it just yet, I love these cars!
Wouldn't surprise me if one of the many sensors on the primera has been moved during all these repair jobs; problem I have is finding a decent Nissan mechanic who won't fleece me, so it's down to me (and the info gained from this forum). 99 grade petrol seemed to improve things but that could be in my imagination. 
 Post Reply Post Reply