Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 auto gearbox issue looming ?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 auto gearbox issue looming ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beardo63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 auto gearbox issue looming ?
    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 3:13pm
Afternoon guys,
after many years with my P12 SVE 2.0 auto, it now seems to starting be a bit unpredictable at times especially when i have to break down fairly quickly for a junction or for something unexpected.
I had one instance where i had to break really hard at a roundabout when a car shot around the roundabout and the car made the most dramatic bang and crash as i came to a stop, it seemed to be the gearbox not being able to come back down to first quickly enough ? a couple of times since then it has been a bit troublesome pulling away at a junction, revving high like its not in gear and putting it into N and then back to D seems to sort it out, but it did it again today at a turning, shuddering a bit before finally getting going.
Longer journey's seem fine in the higher gears its just slowing down for junctions especially if it has to be harder breaking than normal seems to give it problems keeping up and is not ready to go when I need to pull away.
Hoping its something simple as although its not a common occurance, but I feel I am now nursing it a bit especially around slowing down and moving through the early gears.
its done 98,000 and i have had it 6 years now when it had 43k on the clock

Cheers
G.
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 5:41pm
When did you last have the gearbox fluid / oil changed?
Beardo63 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beardo63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 5:48pm
Hi,
Difficult to say, I had an MOT and service last year in which the lubricants are supposed to be checked and topped up. Whether the gearbox oil was actually done I cannot say.

Cheers
G.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 6:08pm
I'm with Shaun on this one, these boxes are very particular on the fluid they use, not a regular serviceable item, not usual to top up. A number of members have resolved transmission issues with the correct lubricant change, others have created issues by not using the correct fluid which is only available from Nissan.
Welcome to the forum by the wayHandshake
Beardo63 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beardo63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 6:15pm
Thanks Shaun,

I decided to check the oil level today and took it for a 5 min run and then left the engine running while i took the dipstick out and wiped it, put it back and took it out, and the dipstick is virtually dry !!! 
So in urgent need of a top up or complete change, I am taking it to be done tomorrow. Probably figures why it has felt a little sluggish with those occasional occasions when coming to a sudden stop the gearbox doesnt keep up.

Thanks for the advice

Graham
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 9:52am
Just remember you'll need the correct Nissan CVT fluid for your car.

Which should be NS-1

BUT NS-1 got discontinued and was replaced with NS-2 (which is still available) but rumours are that NS-3 is supposed to be backwards compatible too.

There's also a load of "equivalents" that are not from Nissan but will work on the Nissan CVT boxes (I can't offer up any suggestions on this part).

If I had your car, I'd be buying Nissan NS-2.

From memory - You're looking at around £100 for the fluid (NS-2) if you're doing a drain and refill. It may well be cheaper nowadays :)
Beardo63 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beardo63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 10:16am
Hi, thank you for the information.
I was wondering if I could do a 'top-up' for the short term by putting fluid down the dipstick hole, just to bring it back up again to normal levels. Then I can look at a drain and replace at a later date.
Struggling to find an outlet for Nissan NS-2 fluid though.
Can anyone suggest an outlet for it ? do Nissan do it directly still ?
Thanks again for the help and advice, appreciated.

roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 11:15am
Graham. ziggy-a2z may be able to help. They stock most things. Thumbs Up
He is on the E auction site.
Roy
Beardo63 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beardo63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 5:08pm
I have managed to order some Nissan NS-2 from Nissan directly £86 for 5 litres, should be here Thursday
will get a mini funnel and begin by topping up the fluid levels to where it should be, currently its only just touching the level !

Thanks for the advice
Graham
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 7:10pm

I recommend you download the free electronic service manual following the link below

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-factory-service-manuals_topic29493.html

Follow the measuring and top carefully

Post Reply Post Reply