Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 display unit fails

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richie b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 display unit fails
    Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 11:02pm
The display screen on my P12 does not always come on when the ignition is turned on. If it doesn't come on the air con comes on automatically but none of the other control console buttons work, with the exception of the heated rear window control. It seems to happen after the car has not been started for more than 6-7 hours, although this could be a coincidence. The radio/cd player does not work either until the screen comes back. Sometimes the console comes back whilst driving, but not very often. Has anyone had this experience?
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 11:20pm
Yep.. Very well documented issue on here. I'll link you up shortlyThumbs Up
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 11:23pm
Full story of events here:

DIY fix found here:

Or there are plenty of electronic / laptop / audio repair shops that have now done this fix, if you're prepared to take out your unit and walk it in.. They do a proper repair etc etc.

Loads more information on this, if you use the forum search.

Net result... It's no biggy and not massively expensive either.
Hywel View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hywel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 9:04am
Any ideas about this for a non-satnav car?

Exactly the same problem but obviously no DVD unit to repair!

Thanks,

Hywel
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 3:52pm
Hi and welcome to the forumHandshake
You say exactly the same problem? It comes on with the hair dryer test? or when the car is warm?
Hywel View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hywel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 8:14am
Hi & thanks,

All the controls are non-functional except the rear window demist & the backlight for the knobs & dials as per the problem with satnav cars.

Nothing else works until the car engine warms up. Once this happens the heaters come on full whack & very hot but the controls & display stay off.

Not tried the hair dryer test as don't own one!

However the other morning when it was VERY cold the screen lit up to warm me that it was cold outside! I was so surprised I was taken aback. Whichever buttons I quickly pressed seemed to work but I wasn't methodical about it & the screen blanked back out with nothing working again after a few seconds.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Hywel
Electrolyte View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electrolyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 10:35am
Worth checking /cleaning the plugs and sockets on the Multi-function switch panel.
Also download the 2003 service manual and have a look at P12 Driver information page DI-112 onwards.
If in doubt give it a clout!
Hywel View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hywel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 10:42am
Cheers! Have had the unit apart and checked the plugs then. Seems to be temperature related. All functioned this morning for about half an hour til things started warming up.

Any one else had this?

Hywel
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electrolyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 12:40pm
As this as far as I know has only happened to cars with Sat Nav units I can only imagine there may be an equivalent board built into your CD Unit ... "don't know"  but may well be worth having a look inside to see.
A hairdryer would perhaps help to narrow things down.
Still looking into it.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electrolyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 5:01pm
Unable so far to see a common denominator for your symptoms.
A faulty A/C controller may cause some of the faults leaving the rear heated window working but as far as I can make out it should not affect the radio operation.
If you can get the display to stay on long enough you could try the self diagnosis to try and get some pointers ,page DI-97.
Just wondering if the backlight is failing, but the diagram does not show the workings for this.
I'm assuming it is LCD.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>