Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 - Earth Fix Crazy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrwinkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 - Earth Fix Crazy
    Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 10:26pm
Hi Guys,

I've been having a few issues lately that seem earth related, so I did the fix today.

Now I'm sure a lot of you are going to say I'm crazy, and it's all in my head, but my car is so different.

She no longer have a throttle delay.

She feels to have much more power

She warms up quicker

She runs smoother, no more lumpy idling

Her stereo sounds richer and has MUCH more bass

I had to break hard today, and actually felt her ABS come on, which I haven't in a long time.

She just feels much better to drive full stop.

I know it all sounds crazy.

Jay
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 10:31pm
Pleased it is working for you...now....just why did you wait so longLOL
Tran$porter View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tran$porter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 3:42pm
Which earth cables did you fix?

"All men die! Some never live" - '54 P12
redshark1 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redshark1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 7:52pm
99% of P12 problems seem to be corrected by the earth fix! LOL
See my Nissan Primera P11-144 common faults and fixes guide:
goodjob View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 11:13pm
What is the earth fix?
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 6:45am
have a look here

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/p12-rear-light-removal-now-with-simple-earth-fix_topic16533.html

Usually applied to version 1 P12 (pre 04 and including) to resolve electrical issues and some power loss issues particularly while indicatiing

Jonno View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 4:05pm
Hi
I am unable to do this myself.
Does anyone know of a garage in Surrey/Sussex who would do this fix for a realistic fee- as opposed to the £100 diagnostic, plus the rest if I take it to a main dealer? I've paid main dealers enough already for electrics problems. ( Primera P12 S : Auto: 54 reg.
Thank you.
goodjob View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 10:35pm
I live in Bracknell - anyone recommended in Bracknell and surrounding areas that could check the earth and apply the fix?
Stoatwblr View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stoatwblr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 10:56pm

Running an extra earth lead is effective in the short-medium term but a bit of a bodge overall and can promote body rust where the star washer bites into the metalwork.

I fixed my earthing problems about 7 years ago (after the second time the stealership had applied the "clean the connector" recall and the lamps started playing up again)

The steps are much the same as in the link above up to the disassembly point. When you get the plug out, clean the crud off the earth pin in the loom socket and temporarily reassmble to make sure it's working. Be gentle when cleaning as the socket pins are fragile and easily bent out of shape.

When you reassemble: 

This is the part that matters - the reason the connector fails is water intrusion. 

Fill the entire connector body, including the individual socket pins and the plugside up with vaseline or other petrolatum compound and stick it back together. If you've done it right there will be lots of vaseline oozing out as you assemble it (this will force the stuff into every crevice inside the plug)

Problem solved - and 7 years later it's stayed solved.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE SILICON GREASE IN ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS. 
This _WILL_ result in intermittent electrical faults a few years later.

Why this works: petrolatum is a low pressure grease - this means the plug and socket pins will push it out of the way to make a secure electrical connection, but the vaseline fills all internal voids and that prevents any more water getting in as far as the connector pins. It's viscous enough and the plugs are sealed enough that even at high summer temperatures it won't leak out.

As far as I can tell the original problem was that the connection would "breathe" during temperature cycling (hot summer weather/cold winter weather causing air to expand-contract inside), resulting in some water eventually being drawn into the assembly despite the nominal sealing it has with the o-rings, etc.

Just about all cars now use gel-filled plugs/sockets for this reason. Telcos have been using them in street-installed  cable joints for 40 years too (That's where I learned about the technique).

The long term problem with running an extra wire for the earth fix and not filling the assembly with vaseline is that eventually water will end up contaminating the other pins and lamps will stop working properly. Water can't cause problems if it can't get in.

goodjob View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 11:02pm
Really interesting what you have to say but will putting the vaseline or other petrolatum compound in fix the problem without doing anything else? How does that fix the earth issue?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>