Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 fuel tank lid stuck

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 fuel tank lid stuck
    Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 8:25pm
car: 2004 P12 F9Q.
I left on a long trip after having the car parked for 6 weeks. With about 25% diesel left in the tank I figured it was time to fill it up.... but the lid would not open. The handle under drivers seat (to open the lid) is not movable at all. I ripped the carpet around the handle a bit and can see the base for the handle is very rusty.

Is there any other (emergency) way to open the tank lid?
CarSpyTV View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarSpyTV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 12:34am
I can't be sure from here why the mechanism has jammed. 

However, if a rusty lever is the culprit then penetrating oil (spray) might coax it loose. Good luck.

CarSpyTV. Join the fun at YouTube. Buying, driving, maintaining, and selling cars - because it's interesting!
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 11:05am
I managed to get it open. Don't really know what I did, but all of a sudden the lid popped open.
I tried to get the handle in the floor out by cutting the head of the screw holding it. Then I tried to pull the thing out long enough to access the wire behind it. The wire is so short that I barely get the handle out far enough to see something blank that may be a wire.
This pulling is probably what made the lid pop open.

When I had it open I bent the steel ring inside the lid so that the lid now can be opened by pushing a plastic card into the crack and pull the lid open.
CarSpyTV View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarSpyTV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 1:34am
Well, at least you can refuel now. That buys you time to find a long term fix. Thanks for the update.
CarSpyTV. Join the fun at YouTube. Buying, driving, maintaining, and selling cars - because it's interesting!
 Post Reply Post Reply