Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 Vibrating gear lever

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jpskiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 Vibrating gear lever
    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 2:13pm
Hi all

2005 primera 1.8 sve

Well after a week of ownership I have a couple of question's

Its had new clutch kit done in last 6 months and is not slipping but when car in neutral and all gears there is vibration from gear stick but no noise, seems to increase with speed, higher speed it does seem to be visible

On last MOT an advisory was from shock mosting and/or limited dampening, I have notice when going over bumps there can be a slight knock on right front and a little wobble of steering

Is vibration normal on these if not what would you check
:)
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 2:43pm
Does the steering wheel vibrate as well?
Does the car drive in a straight line when the steering wheel is straight?
Does the car pull to any side when you take your hands off the wheel? What about if you apply brakes at the same time? What if you accelerate hard?
Do this test: Drive for a least 10 minutes at a speed of at least 60km/h (40mph) without using the brakes. Bring the car to a stop without using the brakes. (make us of an uphill). When car has stopped, you can apply handbrake. Walk around the car and feel the center of the wheels and brake discs. Are any of them hot to the touch?
Could you ask those who did the clutch job for which parts they used? Are you able to find pictures of those parts?
Does the clutch engage when the pedal is far out or far in? (It should engage quite near the center of motion.)
Lift the front wheels off the ground. Grab the wheel in the clock 9:15 and try to shake it. Do you hear/feel any knocks? Do the same with a 6:00 grip. Do both tests on both front wheels. It's actually easier to feel any problems when only one wheel is lifted at the time.
Another test: lift both front wheels off the ground. Make sure handbrake is applied. Start the engine. Turn ESP off (if your car has ESP, it also has a switch near the drivers knee to turn it off). Put the car in 6th gear (5th if you only have 5) and let the clutch out. Go out and study the rotation of the wheels. Do they both rotate smoothly? Do the sound from one wheel differ from the other?
Jpskiller View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jpskiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by petterg petterg wrote:

Does the steering wheel vibrate as well? NO

Does the car drive in a straight line when the steering wheel is straight? YES

Could you ask those who did the clutch job for which parts they used? Are you able to find pictures of those parts? DOUBT IT BUT WILL TRY

Does the clutch engage when the pedal is far out or far in? (It should engage quite near the center of motion.) - YES ROUGHLY CENTRE

NOT TRIED YET BUT WILL:
Does the car pull to any side when you take your hands off the wheel? What about if you apply brakes at the same time? What if you accelerate hard? 

Do this test: Drive for a least 10 minutes at a speed of at least 60km/h (40mph) without using the brakes. Bring the car to a stop without using the brakes. (make us of an uphill). When car has stopped, you can apply handbrake. Walk around the car and feel the center of the wheels and brake discs. Are any of them hot to the touch? 

Lift the front wheels off the ground. Grab the wheel in the clock 9:15 and try to shake it. Do you hear/feel any knocks? Do the same with a 6:00 grip. Do both tests on both front wheels. It's actually easier to feel any problems when only one wheel is lifted at the time.

Another test: lift both front wheels off the ground. Make sure handbrake is applied. Start the engine. Turn ESP off (if your car has ESP, it also has a switch near the drivers knee to turn it off). Put the car in 6th gear (5th if you only have 5) and let the clutch out. Go out and study the rotation of the wheels. Do they both rotate smoothly? Do the sound from one wheel differ from the other?

This is Work done according to invoice in paper work

Work done in Novv20.
Full Service
Read pads + fitting kit
Front track rod ends
Front left wishbone
Clutch Kit
Front drop links
Water pup
Engine flush
Trans fluid
Acc belt 6PK1090
Acc belt 4PK850

Since last MOT 05/20 only done 1,500
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 6:26pm
OK. That doesn't make me wanna edit anything in my last post. There are a bunch of clutch kits that will fit. I need a picture of the installed kind to decide if it has those vibration dampers that is supposed to be there. It is quite likely that one or more bolts/nuts are not torqued to spec. I don't know the 1,8 engine, but for the f9q engine, replacing the clutch involves lowering the engine. This calls for removing quite a lot of parts and bolts that may cause vibrations. 6 of those bolts are inside the clutch housing, so in worst case you'll need to disassemble everything just to look for a bolt not torqued properly. Answer to the test/questions I asked above will help to identify where this bolt (or some linkage) might be located.
Jpskiller View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jpskiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 6:30pm
Cheers, I can say that if I let go of steering it does have tendencies to drift to left, not had real chance to test rest out yet as trying to find a straight level road near me is not easy
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 8:12am
Parking lots near shopping centers at night tend to be usable flat areas.
 Post Reply Post Reply