Print Page | Close Window

Nissan Primera P11 wipers park position fault

Printed From: Nissan Primera Owners Club
Category: General Open Forums - NO TRADING!
Forum Name: Nissan Primera Help & Queries
Forum Discription: NON Paying Members Q&A Section
URL: http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62162
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 5:03pm

Topic: Nissan Primera P11 wipers park position fault
Posted By: chasmoran
Subject: Nissan Primera P11 wipers park position fault
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 1:12pm
Hi!
I've had two P11's so far, a W and, currently, a Y reg. When I bought the current one, it already had a park position fault on the front wipers i.e. when turned off, they stopped wherever on the windscreen they happened to be. I replaced the motor and it worked okay for a couple of months but has now developed the same fault.
When the mechanic fitted it, he did recommend replacing the blades, but they didn't seem too bad to me so I left it until just the other day to fit new ones, but by that time it was too late - if indeed the wipers were the problem. You see, the W reg's wiper motor worked without problem for the three years I had it, despite having old blades.
So I'm wondering, is there any other factor that could have caused this fault to recur so soon, other than the wiper blades or, possibly, that the replacement motor was already at the end of its life when I bought it?
Cheers,
chasmoran

Replies:
Posted By: p11primeragt
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 1:43pm
Hi and welcome to npoc,if the wiper are stuck somewhere on the windsceen,when the swich is at park position,then its either the motor again or the swich you use to work the wiper,if the wiper blades are not to bad,i would leave them and replace you motor again,these fail quite often,even within a few years is a possibilty.

Good luck with it. 

-------------

Posted By: imckay
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 2:15pm
Welcome to NPOC,

Sounds like the motor to me.
It can be fixed reasonably easily http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/p11-fixing-the-wipers-autopark-function_topic35006.html

Posted By: SteveB
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 6:13pm
Definitely the motor.  If you still have the old motor then fix it as per the "How To" and then it's just a swap job.

-------------
1997 2.0 SLX P11

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 7:58pm
Hi, many thanks for the advice. The problem is as I suspected :(
I've seen the DIY repair article - unfortunately, I'm just not the rivet-drilling type! So I'll be looking for yet another reasonably-priced replacement motor. Any leads appreciated (I will be trying eBay of course)...
Cheers,
chasmoran

Posted By: Nismohks
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 10:42pm
Hi you can actually chisel the rivets off, jsut chisel the rivet's head off and u can pull the rivet shaft out. cos thats what i did, and reattach the cover using some self tapping screws. Cheaper than buying a used one and more satisfying. all u need is a cloth to clean the crap out and re grease it.

I never open my wallet unless I have to. Only cos my wife opens it too much already :(

-------------
Black 1999 P11 GT LE

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 7:48pm
Thanks for that! :)

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 11:06am
Hi again,
I'm still a bit puzzled:
In the case of my replacement motor failing within a few weeks of purchase (having worked fine when first fitted), it surely can't be just the park position mechanism fouling up with grease etc. and needing a clean? I.e. in such a short period?
If put under unusual strain, such as from running with old blades, would the internal electrical contacts burn out? or oxidise somehow, breaking the contact? And is this repairable?
Cheers,
chasmoran

Posted By: SteveB
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 6:34pm
I think these motors are almost designed to fail at a certain age/mileage.  There's absolutely nothing to stop the internal metal wiper contacts eventually getting swamped with grease.

My original had a slight bit of contact burning at one position, probably where it kept stopping, but a little bending of the sprung contact and a clean-up and it's worked fine for about a year now.  I bought a spare one and refurbished that so I can do a quick swap if it happens again - that one looked identical inside, same copious amount of grease and a little burning at one position.  So if your motor was 2nd hand I'm very unsurprised at it failing quickly.

-------------
1997 2.0 SLX P11

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 8:58pm
Hi Steve,

Many thanks for the info! I think I'll try to repair this motor when it's been replaced, rather than throw it as I did the previous one. Otherwise, could get very expensive!

Cheers,
chasmoran

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 11:35am
Hi,
Just for information for anyone else who encounters this problem:
I opened up the park position mechanism on the old motor and I think I found what went wrong, which was not as simple as it getting gunged up with dirt or grease.
There are three contacts touching a metal disk: two of them make a continuous circuit when the wiper switch is on; the third keeps the motor running after the switch has been turned off, until the contact hits a gap in the disk which coincides with the wiper park position.
The problem lay with this third contact. I don't know what a new one is supposed to look like, but the one is this motor had a pointed tip, roughened on the underside as if with sandpaper, which had made a grooved, pitted track on the surface of the disk.
I think what happened was that wear and tear to both the contact and the disk had reduced the conductivity between them, causing sparking, overheating, and more rapid deterioration, until there was no enough current getting through to park the wipers.
When I smoothed this rough area a bit and reshaped the contact so that an undamaged part of it touched the disk, the motor worked properly again.
Cheers,
chasmoran

Posted By: FinPrimera
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 6:11pm
Thank you for excellent forum guys and gals. It's been long time of last post, but for those who still have the privilege owning P11, here's my recent findings. I dont know how to post pictures and I'm not willing to learn, so this may take a while:
- Yeasterday I took my SRi to car wash and somewhere during that wash front wipers were repositioned like 10 cm up from their parking position.
- It started burning wiper motors fuse. If they worked, they were wiping fine until you flipped them off and autopark leaves them that 10 cm too high. Next time the wipers would go first downwards to their proper autopark position and then fuse blows. Little wiggling those wiper blade with hand and new fuse and it MIGHT work some time. Theres no factory refurbished nor aftermarket wiper motors out there in Finland but luckily, it's easter, and every breaker yard is closed. So there is nobody hearing your scream.
- Read NPOC forum and found out some courage to check that motor.
- Previous owner seems to have had some issues with wipers motor, because those worm gear case rivets are gone and nice philips head screws instead.
- Inside that worm gear case I found that those two contact poles in middle were ok and same goes with their circular contact surface.
- That third contact sitting alone in outer edge was bent, had lost its shaped head and had screw holding it at case cover. Outer edge of circular gear had deep scratches and that plastic part of gear had deep hole where plastic meets metal and some detoriation in metal probably caused by sparks.
- Cleaning and bending that third contact does nothing, circular gear is too far gone. Unless I can find some plastic filling to fill that pit.
- So I removed that outer edge contact and now using wipers does not burn fuse anymore. Wiper autopark does not work at all but hey you can drive when raining and you can drive with your wipers held vertical position like real race cars do.

Print Page | Close Window