Print Page | Close Window

Nissan Primera P12 Airbag error - can't reset

Printed From: Nissan Primera Owners Club
Category: General Open Forums - NO TRADING!
Forum Name: Nissan Primera Help & Queries
Forum Discription: NON Paying Members Q&A Section
URL: http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=76706
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 10:49am

Topic: Nissan Primera P12 Airbag error - can't reset
Posted By: fenella
Subject: Nissan Primera P12 Airbag error - can't reset
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 8:46pm
I recently had an airbag warning light come on. The airbag was blinking quickly. I reset the error (by turning the ignition on and off 3 times), but a short while later it came back on. Only this time if was blinking slowly. I tried to reset the error, but it wouldn't reset. I detached and reattached the cable under the seats and tried to reset the error again. This time, it blinks slowly once, and then blinks quickly 7 times (and then repeats - 1 slow, 7 quick, 1 slow, 7 quick and so on).

Is it possible to find out what this different combinations of airbag light blinking means?

Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: petterg
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 9:45pm
3 turns of the key takes you to diagnostic mode. The blinking pattern you see now tell you where the fault is.
Repeat the 3 times to reset and return to normal mode.
From FSM: "Seven flashes indicates malfunctioning diagnosis sensor unit circuit"
The cables under the seats would have given 1 flash (RH) or 3 flashes (LH)

Take a look at FSM, page SRS-28

Posted By: essNchill
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 7:40am
Do this:

==

This procedure is for resetting the airbag light on a Nissan Primera P12.

Please note, the airbag is a serious part of the cars safety setup.. If you have any doubt as to it's working function, GO TO A PROFESSIONAL MECHANIC!

"Self Diagnostic Mode WITHOUT Consult-11"

Firstly turn off the radio and switch igniton off.

Then:

1. Turn ignition from off to on.

2. The airbag warning light will stay on for 7 seconds, as soon as it goes off (within 1 sec) turn off ignition.

3. Wait for more than 3 secs.

4. Repeat steps 1- 3 two more times.

5. Turn ignition on again.

Now turn off for at least one second and then back on.

That should reset it.

Copyright NPOC - Please do not steal our website content

==

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/p12-airbag-warning-light-reset_topic3275.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/p12-airbag-warning-light-reset_topic3275.html

Chances are you've probably just moved the seat(s), so check the connectors under them are plugged in nice and tight.

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 8:28am
I think the problem in this thread is that the user has performed that exact process. It has taken him into diagnostic mode - as it should. In order to reset the process has to be performed while car is in diagnostic mode, so repeat it.

On some cars (i.e. the 1.9dci) the engine has to be shut off of at least 10 minutes before starting the process.

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 9:29am
Thanks petterg. That's really helpful. I actually miscounted, it's 8 flashes. I looked it up in the manual as per your instructions and it says it's a Front Passenger Air Bag Module. The instructions are to firstly replace the wiring harness if it has visible damage (I can't see any) and then to replace the air bag module. I'm assuming if it's the latter then the car is beyond economic repair and it's time for the scrapyard :(

Is the wiring harness the yellow plastic thing underneath the seat? That is what I re-seated (detached and reattached). I read somewhere a suggestion of spraying WD-40 into it - is that worth a try? One thing I didn't do was "disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least 3 minutes" before doing any of this - should I have done? 

Strange thing is, before re-seating the cable I was getting a different diagnosis code (but I can't remember what), so I'm not sure if I've made the situation worse.

Posted By: timeshock!
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 11:20am
Hi and welcome to the forumHandshake

I think you have to start at square one and work the problem from there, is you had more that one error then you would get more codes. Did the problem just occur (working one moment, then next time it was on, or have the seats ben moved or vacuuming under the seats?
The passenger air bag unit is attached to the back of the glove compartment held by a single plastic clip, you have to be aware of this and careful when changing the pollen filter, maybe worth doing while you are inspecting it. Follow the ESM, it is simple enough and just ensure everything is seated correctly before you put it all back together just do another code check (keep yourself safe away from the unit.Thumbs Up

Posted By: imckay
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 7:21pm
The Passenger and Driver Seat Airbags are the most common cause of the Airbag Light.
An unplug and replug of the Connector followed by the reset usually sorts it.

As Timeshock says, the Passenger Airbag Connector is often disturbed when changing the Pollen Filter.
Plenty of people have had this fault and fixed it with unplug/replug.

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 9:30am
Thanks again, all. Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been on holiday. Got back today and re-seated the yellow box under the passenger seat (again). This time it has made the light disappear. Yay! I will see how long this lasts - hopefully long enough to get her through her MOT in January.

As an aside, I didn't know there was a pollen filter. I assume that after 13 years it probably needs changing? Tongue

Posted By: timeshock!
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 9:49am
Yes the should be washed annually and changed every two years it can lead to premature failure of the Blower amplifier. ( I don't know of anyone who washes them)

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 5:57pm
I've changed pollen filter in both of my P12's today, for the first time. They've surely done their job. I'd recommend to use a vacuum cleaner with strength control and vacuum lightly on top of the filter before you pull it out. If you don't loads of crap will fall down into the 'clean' side of the tubing.

Posted By: RafaelP12
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 1:30pm
Hola soy de chile tengo p12 2.0 2006 tengo a mi no me parpadea esta fijo la luz de airbag y ademas abs.
Donde se ubica el filtro de polen ?

Posted By: imckay
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 7:25pm
Bienvenido Rafael

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-p12-pollen-cabin-filter-change_topic55661.html

Posted By: BrianMccaul
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 1:53pm
Hi,
I have been having trouble with my 2002 wp12 airbag light also. I have followed all the advice above but no joy?
I got a guy out and his unit Launch x431 pro 3 gave these results but couldn't clear the codes from the control unit.
The car is in Spain and was sitting for 7 months and the battery died, I'm not sure if this would contribute to the problem?
The car has never been crashed so I'm confused as to how these codes can be cleared, on an off chance, i have sent off for a used part Control Unit withe exact part numbers etc, so am waiting on it arriving here to Spain.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Brian

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 2:15pm
Sorry forgot to add codes from the diagnostic unit blow:

00C6 - CONTROL UNIT
00CC - CONTROL UNIT
003B - CONTROL UNIT
00C1 - CONTROL UNIT
0083 - Satellite sensor (RH) Comm fail
0093 - Satellite sensor (RH) Comm fail

Posted By: Estyfort
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by BrianMccaul BrianMccaul wrote:

Sorry forgot to add codes from the diagnostic unit blow:

00C6 - CONTROL UNIT
00CC - CONTROL UNIT
003B - CONTROL UNIT
00C1 - CONTROL UNIT
0083 - Satellite sensor (RH) Comm fail
0093 - Satellite sensor (RH) Comm fail
Either of these two units could be involved: the first is the Air bag diagnosis sensor unit which is installed under the center console; and the other is the RH satellite sensor installed at the underside of right-hand center pillar. However, all the codes you've posted (which should be prefixed with the letter B) suggest a failure of the satellite sensor. It may have gone bad altogether or it has a corroded harness. You said you've placed an order for the "Control Unit."  Which of the two parts? For the 2002 model the part number of the diagnosis sensor is: 98820-AV225 (or 98820-AV21J); for the satellite sensor it is: 98830-AV625 (98830-AY025). At all events, check that the wiring connecting the two parts are still very intact.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 10:22pm
Just a little correction. B0093 is for the left-hand side satellite sensor. With codes coming from the two satellite sensors, the fault might be with the air bag diagnosing sensor (the control unit). 

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 8:52pm
Thanks so much for you detailed input gives me a chance of fixing the problems

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 11:57pm
Keep us posted.

Print Page | Close Window