Print Page | Close Window

Nissan Primera P11 Wiper Linkage replacement

Printed From: Nissan Primera Owners Club
Category: General Open Forums - NO TRADING!
Forum Name: Nissan Primera Help & Queries
Forum Discription: NON Paying Members Q&A Section
URL: http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=76712
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:30am

Topic: Nissan Primera P11 Wiper Linkage replacement
Posted By: LasermanUK
Subject: Nissan Primera P11 Wiper Linkage replacement
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 3:41pm
Hi, if anyone can point me in the right direction. I have a 1999, Nissan Primera GT (brilliant car), but ageing and the wiper linkage mechanism has finally given up the ghost. It has got so sloppy it has put a strain on motor, such that that whole system is just about shot. I talked to my local Nissan garage and am now on my second shot of scotch, recovering from the quoted replacement price, probably more than the car is worth although in good condition and only 80K miles. Can anyone offer help or advice as to where I can get a quality replacement unit at a non bank breaking cost. I really didn't want to go to a scrappy as could end up with the same problem in a couple of months time?? Any help welcome??

Replies:
Posted By: p11primeragt
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 4:56pm
Welcome to the forum,

It's a common fault,the p11 primeras have plastic wiper spindle's that wear out and can hit the bonnet after time.Getting the same ones again will result in the same problem soon.The only rear solution is to fit p10 primera spindels that are made from metal instead and therefore don't wear out.They are one of the best upgrades you can do for your car.

Posted By: LasermanUK
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 10:20am
good advice but not being a mechanic, can you replace the whole unit or is it a matter of taking various parts to make up the assembly? The problem being as such an old unit that the ball cups will have aged and once popped off are likely to come undone on load. Hence trying to find a complete unit...problem is where to get one?

Posted By: p11primeragt
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 4:17pm
The balljoint's are normally ok,the spindle's you can replace separately.3 x 10mm bolts hold them in place.

Just a matter of removing the wiper arms,which can be tight if seized on the spindle's, best way to remove them is to lift the arms off the windscreen undo the nut and rock the arm near the base.Once they are off you can removed the scuttle panel via a screw and some clips along the edge of it.Then you have access to the spindle bolts and motor etc.

Would also be a good time to clean up any grime etc as it will just lead to rust if left.

Posted By: petterg
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 7:53pm
P12 (facelift) also has those in plastic. Good idea getting those from the P10. Do they fit the P12 as well?

Posted By: imckay
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 8:11pm
Welcome to NPOC,

There is a guide in the How-to Section
http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/p11-replacing-a-wiper-arm-spindle_topic3080.html

The P10 (Pre-1996) Spindles are the best option if you can find them.
If not any Primera up to 2002 will fit. If you get a decent set of P11 plastic ones, give them plenty of grease and they should last.
It is a very common fault and any P11 breaking now will probably have had them replaced at some point.

A few P11s breaking for Spares on Ebay. Ask for Wiper Spindles and ask for them to be checked for wear/play.

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by petterg petterg wrote:

P12 (facelift) also has those in plastic. Good idea getting those from the P10. Do they fit the P12 as well?

Not the same unfortunately

Posted By: rrbarny
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 3:54pm
Just for info :- The complete wiper linkage from P10`s fits the P11. Just pop the balljoint on the motor. It`s a bit of a faff to get them in but they will go lol.

-------------
Too old to leave too young to get me pension.
COTM Jan 2013.
I`ve now got me pension

Posted By: JensenDK
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 7:15pm
IIRC there was a guy here who took a piece of brass tube and enlarged the spindle so it could be placed inside and work as a bushing.

-------------
'91 black eGT

Posted By: bavs83
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 8:09pm
I have a good set for sale if you need. took them out of a P11-144

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/topic76371_post938739.html#938739

-------------
It's not what you drive....It's how you drive!

Posted By: rockywr22
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 3:24pm
Hi,

I know this is a shot in the dark as the post was originally from 2016 but if you have another P11 wiper linkage handy I'd be interested.

cheers,

Rocky

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 7:08am
If you don't have any luck finding any, there are some aftermarket ones available from Poland.

http://allegro.pl/os-wycieraczki-lewa-sworzen-nissan-primera-p10-p11-i6993589838.html" rel="nofollow - http://allegro.pl/os-wycieraczki-lewa-sworzen-nissan-primera-p10-p11-i6993589838.html

http://allegro.pl/os-wycieraczki-praw-sworzen-nissan-primera-p10-p11-i6993590591.html" rel="nofollow - http://allegro.pl/os-wycieraczki-praw-sworzen-nissan-primera-p10-p11-i6993590591.html

Apparently pretty good but need a strip down and grease before fitting.

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 9:10am
Many thanks for those urls I'll save them for the future as well.

cheers

Willy (Rocky)

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 9:18am

Just another quick query,  as these would be left hand drive models, would it be better if I bought one each of the left amd the right to ensure I had the correct ones.
I'm thinking of just getting the P10 ones as it seems they would be the better buy judging by all the posts about the 'plastic' bolts on the P11 ?
As the Driver side on mine has gone I suspect the other might follow eventually.

cheers,

Willy

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 9:28am
p.p.s.

not Bolts... Spindles of course.. silly me.

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 10:25pm
They are the same for Left and Right Hand Drive Cars. Just fitted to different sides.

This is the Wiper assembly for a Left Hand Drive 97 P11
Click on the Pivots and it tells you the various models it fits. LHD and RHD
http://nissan4u.com/parts/primera/el_p11e/1997_6/type_57/body_electrical/windshield_wiper_and_windshield_washer/illustration_2/" rel="nofollow - http://nissan4u.com/parts/primera/el_p11e/1997_6/type_57/body_electrical/windshield_wiper_and_windshield_washer/illustration_2/

Order both or two sets. The shipping from Poland is likely to be more expensive than the Parts.
Pivots about £6 each.

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 8:00am
hello again,

excellent information, thanks very much once again.

I'll look into this as the 'baby' is in hospital getting a new PAS belt put in.  It came off on Saturday but didn't notice the belt had gone until I got it home.

cheers

Rocky

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 5:26pm
It turns out the Powered Steering problem was the crankshaft pulley which had given up the ghost and demolished the PAS pulley which shredded the drive belt - probably diverted it too much from it's position and it simple had enough. The other belt was also on it's way as well for the same reason - all fixed now so I can look for the various bits & pieces.  The Allegro sight was pretty difficult attempting to get anything on order but I've just found this on Ebay..  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Primera-1998-Front-wiper-linkage-PAC21302/401832397753?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20180105095853%26meid%3D17b6d6f4981e4633a73e12ce3c8d6741%26pid%3D100903%26rk%3D14%26rkt%3D20%26sd%3D143337518666%26itm%3D401832397753%26pg%3D2509164&_trksid=p2509164.c100903.m5276#viTabs_0" rel="nofollow - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Primera-1998-Front-wiper-linkage-PAC21302/401832397753  which looks acceptable from Lithuania... as it'll probably be for a left hand drive are they in the same position or will it just need to be turned upside down do you think ? 
cheers

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 11:42am
Should fit OK and a reasonable price. The Pivots could be worn though. 

You probably need a friendly Pole to assist with Allegro or you can find email addresses for the Sellers on there.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 1:25pm
I've given up the ghost on the Allegro site.

It appeared to be okay with translating page by page but then went off to a place I couldn't follow.

I think I got the price of shipments to 50 Zloty per item so for 2 a 100 would have been about £21.5 - ish.
The problem was getting the odering sorted out, in the end I gave up.

I then went to EUspares.co.uk & onlinecarparts.co.uk which appeared to access the same German Metzger site.
As these were also new I decided to say 'bugger it' and just bought one for each side. All together it cost £60.12 from the EUspares and would have been a quid more from onlinecarparts.co.uk.

For the amount of money I have spent £60 isn't that hard to bear but, at least they're brand new and with a good firm (I Hope).

Thanks again for your help - unfortunately Allegro didn't reply to any of my emails so I couldn't continue with them but yes, if I'd have got my school friend of many moons ago to teach me some Polish it might have been a different story.

cheers,

Willy

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 7:32am
Hi Willy,
Good to see you have found some.
The Metzger Pivots look OK. Probably worth taking them apart and checking for grease before fitting.

The 6 Nuts are likely to shear off of the old pivots. M6 I think.

Give the 2 Wiper Arm Nuts a squirt with some Penetrating Oil. They can be a pain to remove.
You can get Pullers if they refuse to budge.

Ian

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 8:49am
Ian,

I remember somebody else has posted that about grease on another thread I come across, thanks for the reminder - I would have forgotten it.
I've got lots of different oils/greases etc.. now so I'll give them a blast when i've got time to start it.

I have a Corsa that I've just changed the linkage for, much easier however, I must have screwed up the edge of the windscreen glass as I've now got a crack going up from the centre and out to the sides... I probably squeezed it back on too hard and then the first speed hump probably took it out. Luckily I've got fully comp so if it comes to a full replacement it's only £50 but if just a repair then it'll be nothing.
I'll be giving the primera a lot more attention on taking these things out hehe....
I'll do the drivers side first and run that for a few days or week to see how it fares before attempting the other one. The drivers side has the inevitable bearings buggered where the actual arm is rubbing on the bonnet and is a bit wobbly inside.

cheers again,

Wily

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 4:10pm
Well I started on my replacement of spindles and decided to do them both.

The left and the right had nuts that sheered off 2 on each, so I had to go and get a bag from Screwfix.

When i started to do the passenger side the end link to the motor also came off.

The problem  now is that my arms do not reach far enough in to put the link back onto the motor itself....... bugger! as we say.

No matter what I do I  just can't get in there so I'm going to have to take it to the garage anyway and see if their experience can get it on for me.

After all that bother I should have just popped it down to them and say off you go.

Both the spindles had dodgy bearings so they were out of it anyway plus with shearing off the bolts with the nut didn't help either so the new ones had to go on.

If you have any ideas I'd be grateful for any.

cheers

Willy

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 4:25pm
Remove the 4 Bolts holding the Wiper Motor to the Bulkhead.
You should then be able to pop the linkage back onto the Motor.
A little fiddly from what I remember from when I replace the Wiper Motor.

Posted By: Grim
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 4:51pm
Make sure motor is in park position. Other than that I can’t see why your struggling 👍

-------------
Sorry I scraped all those primeras ☹️

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 7:02pm
I came across a youtube video that was replacing a motor on another Nissan not a Primera but very similar set up except they could get their hand behind a lot further than this P11.
I'll give that a shot tomorrow as it's getting a bit dark now - I had a thought it might be easier to line it up by taking the motor off...

I can touch it with my fingers on the inside but my arm is all cut up when I've tried to re-connect the ball joint.

Thanks for the reply.

Posted By: essNchill
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 6:45am
This any use (from our How To Section):

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/p11-replacing-a-wiper-arm-spindle_topic3080.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/p11-replacing-a-wiper-arm-spindle_topic3080.html

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 7:51am
Actually I have that already printed out but it doesn't show how to put the linkage back onto the motor ball joint. It did miss the screw when you pull the full plastic liners up though I was there for a while before I kicked myself and said "there's a screw there dummy!" hehe..

I moved the underneath plastic 'wide' clip off (about 4in length) and it opened up a 'window' so to speak but it seems that if this was a bit longer towards the passenger side I could have easily got my hand or fingers behind without any further messing about.
Now though, I'll move the motor and then line up the link and hopefully get them back together.
It only came off that end when I was trying to get the passenger side spindle off.

I'll post back what happens.

cheers

Willy

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 7:54am
Grim,

the link came off the ball joint on the motor my arms don't fit up the window in order to push it back on --- although I can feel it and see the ball joint on the motor I can't line it up as I can't see what I'm doing and there's no other window to put my other hand in to push it on so it's as suggested I'll move the motor off to align the joint that way and push it on.

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 11:28am
Guys and Gals,

it has now been put back together, I didn't need to take out the motor to line the linkage arm with the ball joint up.
I took the arm off the middle spindle again and then lined it up and pulled it back onto the spindle with my fingers using both hands through the space as in this youtube video I caught yesterday.
Although the window on this Nissan Micra is much nearer to the motor when I got a good 'thunk' I checked and could see it was really nicely on -- obviously lots of grease around.
Then the middle spindle was easier to attach the two arms.... 
It seems a shame they could do it on the Micra but not the Primera first time around to allow for some probing in the background.
The wiper arms don't knock on the bonnet anymore thank god but from the looks of the nuts/bolts that sheared off it probably wasn't too far from going completely anyway.

There were occasions where the motor had to be turned to complete it's movement so the joints could be seen.

Thanks to all for the comments and information. The information is out there ..............

cheers

Willy

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 11:29am
This is the video I watched for the motor removal in case I needed it, it does show the 'window' quite nearer to the motor so you can eye it and align it better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PKpGpYO0x8" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PKpGpYO0x8

Print Page | Close Window