Print Page | Close Window

Hi from Staffs Moorlands

Printed From: Nissan Primera Owners Club
Category: General Open Forums - NO TRADING!
Forum Name: New Members
Forum Discription: Say hello and introduce yourselves!
URL: http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=80680
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 8:44pm

Topic: Hi from Staffs Moorlands
Posted By: pianoprimera
Subject: Hi from Staffs Moorlands
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 7:21pm
October 2019 will be the 10th year of ownership of 2002 Silver Primera P12 1.8 Estate. I also have a 2008 Mitsubishi Colt 1.3 5 door. I try to keep both in pristine condition. Both also as you may recognise have as near as you can get - bulletproof chain cam engines, although I find the Primera a bewilderingly small engine oil capacity compared to the Colt, and having the filter on the back of the engine does no favours either!

The Primera P12 I found very susceptible to stone chipping. so I've had a 1970s inspired home made VW Beetle type "bonnet bib" on (black wrap) for a good number of years. I find it relatively easy to work on. I removed all the plastic under engine panels years ago, and the MOT station doesn't mind. I just keep it all clean under there - especially the sump which I guess could be vulnerable to rust, as could the leading edge at the front of the car body. Pressure clean and light oil spray twice a year. In the time I've owned the Primera we've buried a Vectra SXi, a Citroen Berlingo, and a Vauxhall Frontera (all 3 I refused to work on any longer!), - so it's done well for us.

Years ago when I lived at a different location in Cheshire I did a video of the Primera - around 2011:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwtoSJjl6KI

All for now. Thanks for being here. Tony

Replies:
Posted By: roy.2
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 11:08am
Hi Tony. Welcome to NPOC.  Handshake

-------------
Roy

Posted By: schwen
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 12:25pm
Welcome to the forums!

-------------
P10 Army - G20.net MOTM April ´09 - NPOC.co.uk COTM April ´11

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 7:17pm
Help! Just had my new insurance quote on a pristine 2002 P12 Estate, 2000 miles per annum, myself and my wife to drive, (both retired).  104 pounds for the next year with Marks and Spencer Bank. My Morris Minor when I first started driving in 1968 was only 16 pounds a year third party, fire and theft. I am looking for a quote under 20 pounds for the year . . .

STOP!! Only joking of course. But they value the car at 250 pounds, - so let 'em I say . . . haha. 104 pounds suits me fine !! It runs like a dream, pulls like a train, will go up to 90 comfortably on a Motorway when overtaking. Laughing all the way to the bank - just like Scotty Kilmer with his Toyota. Now let's see what I can get my 2008 Colt insured for later this year, covering up to 3000 . . .

Posted By: timeshock!
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 7:26pm
Good going on the quote, the P12 can ,make some fine damage to a brand new modern car!

Posted By: roy.2
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 7:40pm
You can't get much better than that.  Thumbs Up

-------------
Roy

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 12:48pm
Thanks for that guys. But let me give my opinion on this P12 that in October 2019 we will have had for 10 years. It was made at a time when Renault had just begun to start screwing up the Nissan marque. The chain cam engine is still rock solid, though it's oil capacity is woefully low in my opinion (my 1.3 Colt chain cam practically takes twice the P12 capacity). The filter is horrible to get at.  Over the years I've just replaced pads, 2 discs (rotors), 4 drop links on the stabilisers, drive belts. The drivers door mechanism packed up years ago but this is no issue to me as it is a superbly warm car in winter.  3000 mile oil changes - just cheap Viscol synthetic from Home Bargains. Is it or will it become a Classic? I don't know. All I do know is that I have room on my driveway to store it for months at a time, and then it fires into life straight off. Last one I saw was about 3 weeks ago at a Sainsbury car park (the usual door dented clapped out shed). I also have a 1950s private plate on it that I now estimate to be worth 8 times more than the car (haha).

We have a family history of many Datsuns / Nissans. I myself have toured France-Spain in a Bluebird Premium. I've had various Sunnys, including the mid 80s 1.3 van. Original Micras, We've had a Datsun 120Y van even. Sadly, this will be our last Nissan. Even my father in law switched to a Hyundai after driving Nissans since 1979 (until he gave up driving at 91).

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by pianoprimera pianoprimera wrote:

The drivers door mechanism packed up years ago but this is no issue to me as it is a superbly warm car in winter. 

(Window mechanism that is!)

Print Page | Close Window