Print Page | Close Window

Another Norwegian on NPOC, or am I the first?

Printed From: Nissan Primera Owners Club
Category: General Open Forums - NO TRADING!
Forum Name: New Members
Forum Discription: Say hello and introduce yourselves!
URL: http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=80712
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 10:42pm

Topic: Another Norwegian on NPOC, or am I the first?
Posted By: Orkanen
Subject: Another Norwegian on NPOC, or am I the first?
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 9:59pm
I never thought I'd buy a Nissan, let alone a WP12.  It does surprise me every day, and in a good way.
Easy to drive and smooth running.  Yes, it's old, things are presently wrong with it, but in time, unless it's a goner, those wrongs will be put right, one item at a time.  It's got around 350.000km on the clock.

Discovered so far:
chirping something in engine bay, could be fan belt
worn out ball joint
worn out rubber buttons on the only key I have
foggy head lamps
broken drive shaft bellow
ABS warning light caused by a split ABS ring
radiator fittings need replacing
engine oil leak somewhere
hand brake only locks on one side
something rattling inside bass speaker
airbag lamp flashing
radiator in front of left front wheel covered in gunk and oil
seat belt warning beep and light until I insert passenger seat belt
wipers can only be stopped with ignition switch
lots of pin rivets broken or missing
drivers seat cushion needs some work

thermostat - fixed

I paid NOK 8.500,- for the car, so perhaps not a bargain.  Barely any rust, but quite a few parking lot nicks, scratches and dents, including several on the roof.  Previous owner graciously took care to fix scratches with new paint, so he must have appreciated it.  

Most in list is probably easy to fix, some with parts, others with sufficient amounts of elbow grease.  And best of all, not too dear.

-------------
Stop stalking us paranoids

Replies:
Posted By: ragt20
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 11:48pm
welcome to npoc, glad to hear you're enjoying your Primera..get some pics up if you get the chance. 

enjoy the forums. Wave

-------------
FAO : Laurens, I am not Shaun.
FAO : bavs83, I am not Tan.
VZR-CHECK, VZR-N1-CHECK, P11 VE-CHECK, P12 20V-CHECK, XTRAIL VET-CHECK

Posted By: roy.2
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 12:17am
Hi Even. Welcome to NPOC. Handshake
I think we have a couple of people from Norway on the forums. Thumbs Up

-------------
Roy

Posted By: timeshock!
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 12:56pm
Hi and welcome to the forumHandshake

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 3:33pm
Thank you, and I will.

-------------

Posted By: Stevie-Boy
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 10:06am
Welcome! I don't think you're the only one from Norway, if my memory serves me right, a few of our UK guys went over to visit a Norwegian member a few years back.

-------------
2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Member of the Month: Jan 2014
ex P11 Si, P11 GT, P11-144 Sport+, P11 GT Turbo, P11-144 Wagon, Subaru Legacy B4 RSK, 350z, Type R

Posted By: pianoprimera
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 10:29pm
Hi. I find any car with just one key is a worry. Later keys on the P12 were much more durable. Early ones soft rubber that deteriorates fast.  Look on the passengers door. You'll find a little plastic cover on the handle. I'd remove this. You'll see a manual key insert there. Lots of WD40 I'd say then open the car manually via the passenger's door. To lock it take the key out of the ignition and just press the door lock button on centre console, shove the door closed and it should lock.

Belts and pulleys do chirp on these but usually only on damp mornings in winter. Maybe best to replace belts (which isn't the easiest job on a P12) or use some belt dressing.

Headlamps: like most cars - plastic! Try a good clean off with T-Cut fine body paste (or try Colgate toothpaste!). Then a coat of polish over. The bloom will come back so it needs doing frequently.

Worn out ball joint. Is this by any chance a stabiliser (sway bar) knocking over rough ground. These little drop links are very cheap to buy and can happen all around a P12. You may have to cut an old one off though as they rust on.

Seat belt beep and flash. You're not carrying anything on the passenger seat, i.e. shopping, tool bag etc are you? Because it will respond to this.

Handbrake locks only one side. The front calipers on a P12 are easy to work on and easy to grease the sliders. The back units often get neglected as they need an allen key to free the disc (rotor) pads. The back pistons also need winding back in. It seems to me a good strip down and clean is necessary though. Lubricate the handbrake mechanism springs with WD40. Adjustment? It's just a self levelling (between both back brakes) adjustment. Take the boot from around the handbrake lever and you'll see it. But once both sides have been cleaned / new pads fitted, they should balance out. Primera P12 handbrakes never ever hold all that well. Best to apply the handbrake with foot on the main brake as you do so.

Phew! such a lot of work . . . 

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 3:05pm
Thanks for a long and interesting post, Pianoprimera.  

Perhaps I should have mentioned that mine is fitted with a YD motor.

I got hold of a new key rubber thingy that seems to work somewhat.  It's now easy to lock the car remotely.  Unlocking is another matter, the underlying switch is bent or broken.  I got a hold of the plastic keyhole cover at a junk yard, so now that part of the car is complete.  I'm very careful with WD40, as it to my experience too often tends to dry out and seize what it's supposed to oil rather quickly.  Since the keyhole is now covered, I'm more at ease with the state of the key mechanism.  I'll use a sewing machine oil or equivalent to clean it out.  Not sure if it's ideal, or if I should find a graphite oil for that purpose.

The chirping sound seems to come from the exhaust pipe in the vicinity of the catalytic converter.  Belts are well greased, so they should be in order.  With belt adhesive, of course.  (-:b  I'll try and fix when I get access to a lift of sorts.

Seems like headlamps need a little more than just polishing.  The reflector is somewhat discoloured above the bulb, not sure if it will pass next inspection.  They are of course Xenon lamps.  If I'm lucky, I might be able to convert a new set of H7/H7 lamps to Xenon/H7 by dismantling them and taking parts from the old ones.  

The ball joint isn't making any noise yet, I instead discovered a slight wear on the inside of the front wheel tyre.  It's the lower ball joint.  Easy enough to replace, I hope.  

I don't know where the seat sensor is located, but there's the culprit.  Passenger seat is empty.  I could disconnect the seat belt lock cable and be done with it, but I'm hoping for everything to work in that car.  It's already disconnected on the drivers side, due to a defective switch.  I plan to buy a second hand passenger seat and use parts from there, in hopes I get everything working.  They're usually not as worn out.  

One rear wheel bearing is making noise, so I've ordered a replacement, as well as a new disk and pads.  I checked the caliper and it seems to function as it should.  I could wind it in fairly easily, it came back out and held equally easily.  The disk on that side is worn down, as are the pads.  Disk on other side is good, so I'll keep it.  

I've noticed a hissing sound upon acceleration and found a clamp missing right ahead of the charge air cooler.  Which also explained why there's lots of oil and dirt behind the left hand side bumper and bodywork, clogging up that radiator.  Clamp is now replaced and hissing gone.  I'm repeatedly spraying it with grease remover and hosing it down, assuming positive results some time in the near future.

Yes, lots and lots of work, but isn't that part of the fun?  I've ordered a stack of parts to replace some of the broken ones.  They'll hopefully arrive some time next week.  Also can't wait for the R134A I ordered over a week ago.  It's way too hot here, I'm a winter kind of guy.

-------------

Posted By: rockywr22
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 1:17pm
I have a P11 bought in 1997 and now with 104,000 miles on the clock (about 167,371km).

It's an SE and Automatic but it's still got it's power and leaves a lot of cars standing at the traffic lights, they're probably bemused an old car can beat the pants off them.

All the things you have seen are pretty norm it seems, I've just had a crankshaft pulley replaced and two new drive belts on the power steering & alternator side all for £306 which isn't too bad considering the labour was only £45 for the job. The pulley was £156 the most expensive but c'est la vie if it keeps it on the road for another few years that's great.

The secret of longevity is just don't hammer it and regular servicing etc..

Enjoy.

Print Page | Close Window