Print Page | Close Window

Nissan Primera P12 1.8 battery replacement

Printed From: Nissan Primera Owners Club
Category: General Open Forums - NO TRADING!
Forum Name: Nissan Primera Help & Queries
Forum Discription: NON Paying Members Q&A Section
URL: http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=81425
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 5:54am

Topic: Nissan Primera P12 1.8 battery replacement
Posted By: sleizen
Subject: Nissan Primera P12 1.8 battery replacement
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 10:38pm
Nearly replaced my battery today as my gf had left interior light on overnight. The breakdown dude charged it, took a reading and says, "its only 70 mate - should be 470AH. This battery's scrap". Well after a one mile trip to halfords, the tech took a reading of 200 and says "if its gone up that much after 5 minutes driving, try it tomorrow morning after a few miles driving". Which I will, but is a regular multimeter up to the job?
Thanks to halfords for taking the time to give advice, did not expect to leave the place having spent £0... but has he got a point? His meter decided all cells were ok. Cos £100 battery change is no fun, I blew £200 on a new exhaust Friday so I'm done with spending for a bit!
I heard removing primera battery messes withe the ecu, is it a big deal?

Replies:
Posted By: roy.2
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 10:41pm
You will have no problems with a battery swap. Thumbs Up

-------------
Roy

Posted By: CarSpyTV
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 10:56pm

For a small sum, I bought a battery tester for my P12. I can therefore:
  • get more information than my multimeter provides
  • check the battery regularly without having to visit a garage
  • know whether the battery is towards the end of its life and - if it is - replace it before there's a breakdown.
You might find a battery tester handy, too. 

-------------
CarSpyTV. Join the fun at YouTube. Buying, driving, maintaining, and selling cars - because it's interesting!

Posted By: sleizen
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 8:50am
well there's sure some bs about - no issues with removing the battery. And for some 2021 advice, you can get a new battery £53 at independent places, rather than £94 at halfords. 
My multimeter tests up to 10A, I'm not sure how to measure current-holding of the battery without it burning out. Would I take a reading with the ignition off?

Print Page | Close Window