Print Page | Close Window

Nissan Primera P12- Alternative towing connection?

Printed From: Nissan Primera Owners Club
Category: General Open Forums - NO TRADING!
Forum Name: Nissan Primera Help & Queries
Forum Discription: NON Paying Members Q&A Section
URL: http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=81467
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 1:38pm

Topic: Nissan Primera P12- Alternative towing connection?
Posted By: Dan_A
Subject: Nissan Primera P12- Alternative towing connection?
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 4:04pm
Hi!

I may need to tow my car to a mechanic. It is only 1 km away, so I thought I would try to save the fee for the tow truck, and do it myself. The threaded hole where you insert the towing hook is severely rusted and the threads are now useless. 

There is a vertically oriented metal "disc" with two holes in it (no idea what it is for) in the front on each side. They look like they would be strong enough to be used for towing (attaching an equalized piece of rope or webbing to each point, connected to a rope to the towing car). Has anyone tried this? Will I ruin something? Are there any other reasonable attachments points?

Thanks!

Replies:
Posted By: roy.2
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 8:43pm
Hi Dan. Welcome to NPOC.  Handshake  Doing what you suggest will be ok. Thumbs Up
Failing that, you could always tow it backwards. lol. Ouch  LOL

-------------
Roy

Posted By: timeshock!
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 10:03pm
Hi and welcome to the forumHandshake Those holes are used to securing the car to a trailer/transporter, I have no idea if they are strong enough for towing 

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 11:08am
Thanks for the reply timeshock. That makes sense.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 11:12am
Ha ha ha! Thanks Roy. According to the owners manual that will apparently ruin the transmission, so I guess I will refrain from that. You're not allowed to give ironic advice to people like me, who knows nothing about cars : )

Posted By: roy.2
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Dan_A Dan_A wrote:

Ha ha ha! Thanks Roy. According to the owners manual that will apparently ruin the transmission, so I guess I will refrain from that. You're not allowed to give ironic advice to people like me, who knows nothing about cars : )

It sounds like you have automatic transmission in your car Dan. If so and you are only going 1 kilometre then you will not hurt it if you keep the speed down to 25/30 mph.  Thumbs Up
It also states in the handbook not to tow an Automatic car backwards!! LOL

-------------
Roy

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 6:12am
Update: 

I towed it at low speed to the garage and it went well. The hooks held up fine. I clipped a climbing carabiner in each hook, and used a piece of old dynamic climbing rope to equalize the two points with a "sliding X" configuration. My guess is that a single point would have worked as well, but I did not want to risk it. 

Posted By: timeshock!
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 8:44am
Thumbs Up lets hope the mechanic gets it up and running

Print Page | Close Window