Print Page | Close Window

Changing the steering wheel

Printed From: Nissan Primera Owners Club
Category: General Open Forums - NO TRADING!
Forum Name: New Members
Forum Discription: Say hello and introduce yourselves!
URL: http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=81617
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 1:02am

Topic: Changing the steering wheel
Posted By: Ratprimera12
Subject: Changing the steering wheel
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 3:24am
Hello, I have a question about my 2002 primera p12 1.6 petrol. I have the old steering wheel which doesn't have music controls in it. I was thinking if I can fit a steering wheel from the next primera models with music controls. Will the airbag and the music controls function properly or I will have problems

Replies:
Posted By: timeshock!
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 9:03am
Hi and welcome to the forumHandshake
I cant say with absolute certainty but your model is the first edition, the second edition had change of wiring looms so I would not expect it to work. I could be wrong if the 1st edition ever came with control on the wheel.Thumbs Up

Posted By: Ratprimera12
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 1:22pm
How about the airbag will it function even if I don't use the controls. I could do it only for the look. But only if the airbag worked. Safety first 😉

Posted By: timeshock!
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 8:58am
I cant state with certainty, both versions certainly have the spiral cable, hopefully the connector for the airbag remained the same. I do know that on my P12 which was the second edition with the wheel controls was prone to a common problem with damage to that loom which resulted in controls on the wheel being operated when the wheel was turned and it needed to be replace so maybe they incorporated that loom or changed the spiral cable to incorporate those functions.

If you do go ahead you will need to read the service manual available free from here on how to take off and refit the spiral cable for steering wheel removal and refitting.

Print Page | Close Window